Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to take one of my swarm traps down yesterday but I noticed buzzing coming from the box. I never even knew I caught a swarm! I briefly lifted the lid and saw there was capped brood on some of the 2 frames I had in the box but there was also comb with some capped brood that they had drawn hanging down from the roof. What do I do with the hanging comb when moving them into a hive?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
..... there was also comb with some capped brood that they had drawn hanging down from the roof. What do I do with the hanging comb when moving them into a hive?
Cut and "paste" into the frames.

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is way ex post facto, Rob, but my experience with "cutting/pasting" fresh comb from a box's cover-underside was a disaster. The new wax's consistency was almost liquidy and all of it folded over on itself before I could do any kind of inserting it into a frame -- result: lots of dead larvae, bees, and the queen. A disaster, and a failed baited hive ....

Did you have a better experience with yours?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have a better experience with yours?
It did turn out well. I gave the swarm to a fellow beekeeper and he rubber banded the comb on to a frame with wires and no foundation. The comb was soft as you pointed out but it held in place and the swarm is doing well for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts