Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a swarm is caught and put in a hive box in the same location (temporarily) during the day, will they orientate to that location right away? I moved the box that night to a different location one mile away. Will they orientate at the new place? Or will they fly back to where they were captured?

I also newspaper combined them, placing them on top of a queenless hive.

I'm concerned that they will fly back to the place where I caught them because they were in the hive box at that location for several hours before I moved them. I plan on placing grass and twigs at the entrance but that method hasn't always worked for me.

I read a person's suggestion to close the hive for 72 hours, saying that the bees will re-orientate. I have never tried that and was wondering if anyone has, and does it work? I use screened bottom boards and screened inner covers and the temperatures here aren't expected to be above 70. Is it a bad idea? Good idea?

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,445 Posts
Will they stay even if I put nothing in front of the entrance?
If they had to chew their way though newspaper to get out, I think you'll be OK.

If you're curious, check back where you caught them to see if there are any deserters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts