Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just set up two new hives yesterday. We picked a spot that I thought was the best combo of wind protection and sun...today I see that the hives don't get full sun till almost noon. Is it possible to move the hives now before they have settled in? The spot I want is 35 yards away.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Bruce

you don't know what a squabble you'll start with that question

go to the top and click the search button
type in "moving hive" for what to search for and make it search the subject
you'll find some interesting disscussion
bottom line, it's not hard

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Move the hives in the evening........ Place a branch in front of the entrance (so bees have to manuver around or thru it). They will re-orient right away. This was first mentioned to me by Michael Bush and it works really great.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i don't get it. What does the branch have to do with it? How does it work? Does the branch go in front before and after the move?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
jamiev

the idea is to make the bees recognise as they leave the hive that something has changed so they will re-orient and figure out they are in a new place
there's been some debate over whether it's necessary but it seems to me so simple to do you may as well
it's also easy to see the principal by simply putting a branch in front of a hive without moving it
they'll re-orient right away
PColar suggested a neat experiment to try to learn more about it but I don't think anyone has done it yet

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts