Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trapout that appears to be ready to bring home. Do I just wait until dark and put screen on the opening and take them home? The trap out tree is about 20 miles from my house. I only have one hive in the back yard that I started from a nuc I bought May 11 of this year. I planned on putting the second hive next to the one I have now. Is there any set distance that needs to be between hives? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Devil dog, I just moved a trapout Monday. Got there at about 9:30 PM and rolled up two shop rags and closed the entrance ,picked up the hive and put it in the back of my 94 Geo tracker and drove home. I set the hive on a stand and gave the bees about 1/2 hour to calm down ,pulled the rags and pulled some grass(just a little) and lay it in the entrance (to make the little suckers take some time to adjust to their surroundings,They will clear the grass from the entrance.) no lost bees, no stings and they are HAPPY,HAPPY, HAPPY.Hope this helps! My hives have always been on railroad crossties . three to a tie,spaced about three feet apart . just leave yourself enough room to get around your hives when you are working them. remember you will be working from the sides and back of your hive so leave yourself enough room to manuever.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JW. Just finished getting the girls settled in. Put a screen over the entrance. Note to all you other new guys. Yes the bees can see you in the dark if you have a flashlight.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Put a red cover over your flashlight (red food wrap) so the bees don't see you as well. I found out the hard way not to use a head light either! Ouch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts