Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

Well, I've solved one concern which in turn caused another challenge:}

Here's my situation, I will be given an entire complete hive, all I have to do is go and get it and move it approx 17 miles ie 20-25 minutes to my Bee Yard

So, I'm going to go and load it onto a trailer right at dusk,

My thoughts are after closing the entrance up with #8 hardware clothe, strap it down good and heading home.

Once I arrive home I 'm thinking about simply leaving it on the trailer overnight very near the final placement then moving the hive by dolly approx 30 yards to final hive space. Then simply remove the hardware cloth and then cross my fingers and unsuit and make a cup of coffee:scratch: and sit back and see what goes on:}

What do you guy's think?

As always any and all suggestions are truly appreciated

Thanks in advance....!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Everything sounds right on. Not sure why you want to leave them on the trailer all night, I'd just put them into position and be done with it. If you are moving at night the hardware cloth is not actually needed. The screening is more for personal comfort than the bees comfort. Again, if they were mine I'd put them on their final destination, remove whatever guard you have on the front and walk away.
Enjoy the experience I always enjoy moving hives..

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That should work. I would try to run a ratchet strap all the way around the hive to hold the boxes together before you load them up. Waiting until close to dark will ensure that most of the foragers will be back at the hive, but the bees also get more defensive at night. If the hive is made to a standardized size, I would make the entrance screen before getting there and all you'll have to do is put it on the hive. I use ventilated vinyl soffit to make an entrance blocker from. It has holes about 4 or 5, 1/8" holes every inch. I fold it into a L shape so it goes up the front of the hive an inch or so and sits flat on the landing board for an inch or so. I use the vinyl soffit because i had some on hand. Your wire should work fine. I duct tape mine in place to get it quickly attached, then I use a stapler to put finish it up. The staples pop out easy with a hive tool.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Unless it is pitch dark or you won't have help, I would just get er done and put them where they are going to be and remove the hardware cloth after dark. Then it is done and they will not have the excuse to get ornery that two days of handling gives them. They will still be stirred up from one move, but two will not help. Just my thought, I am sure you will do fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
you have a trailer.. that's almost cheating ;) how many boxes? if it's more than a few you may want to use an extra bottom board and split it up so it wont fall over.

why not just dolly them to the final spot right when you get back.. get it all done at once and let them get settled. open it up and let them reorient when they pop their heads out in the AM.

getting the whole hive instead of trying to make it work with the TB is good. can always shake a split into the TB later on

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Get a headlamp with a Red Led light. White light will bring out bees, and at night they can be very defensive. Red will not wake them up.
I use cheap plastic (bathroom style) drywall corner bead to close the entrance -- you can cut it with scissors and the L shape helps make a definite seal. Always bring some duck tape.

How big a hive -- two deeps can easily exceed 100 lbs. A mostly brood box will be light.

Make sure you strap them down front to back and side to side. I think hives travel best when the frames are on axis with the road, but this is not done on migratory trucks and they travel just fine.

You'll do fine, more folks than you would care to imagine have moved hives in the back seat of their import sedans.

When I lived in CR, moved fit to bursting AHB hives up jungle trails balanced on the back of a Y 125 Enduro. But I bet even more hair raising stories are thick among the old-timers on this forum

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Groovy...I'll put them in there final for now spot as soon as I get back home.

That way they and I both will be taking a break and drinking coffee early Friday morning? lol

Thank You Very Much

·
Registered
848 Posts
As been said, strap them down good.Get it done at one time.
As far as the entrance is concerned no further than you are going I'd just roll up paper towel & plug it that way.
I've moved several that way & never had any problem.Mark,,,,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As been said, strap them down good.Get it done at one time.
As far as the entrance is concerned no further than you are going I'd just roll up paper towel & plug it that way.
I've moved several that way & never had any problem.Mark,,,,
Ten-Foe thanks for the encouragement:}

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even though you are not going far, use ratchet straps around the hive in both directions, over the top and around the sides, as well as over the top and front and back. I once moved a hive with only one strap, and had it strapped to the hand truck the strapped that the the inside of the trailer. Somehow on the trip the boxes separated and there was a gap between the brood boxes. By the time I got to my destination only 7 miles away, I had a trailer full of very mad bees. Many had bearded on the inside of the trailer or on the hand truck. I hadn't expected that type of problem so only had a veil. I took several stings on the arms and hands that night. They can fly and hit a target (me) in the dark! I am now a believer in hive staples, multiple ratchet straps and blocking the entrance. I use painters tape instead of duct tape to hold my blocking screen in place as it comes off clean when I remove the screen.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've always blocked both ends of my hive screens (entrance) with toilet paper, always carried on the bee truck for emergencies of all kinds. This allowed me to "unzip" the entrances very quickly with a puff of smoke at each one after having unloaded them. Keep your vehicle running during the entire procedure of loading and unloading the hive. The vibrations of the motor tend to keep the bees clustered in the hive so that they won't bother you. Don't let the hive slide on the trailer except when loading and unloading. OMTCW

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always blocked both ends of my hive screens (entrance) with toilet paper, always carried on the bee truck for emergencies of all kinds. This allowed me to "unzip" the entrances very quickly with a puff of smoke at each one after having unloaded them. Keep your vehicle running during the entire procedure of loading and unloading the hive. The vibrations of the motor tend to keep the bees clustered in the hive so that they won't bother you. Don't let the hive slide on the trailer except when loading and unloading. OMTCW
Groovy...thanks keep the hints on moving them coming...I'm making notes :}

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok All

Picked up the bee's at 7:35pm CST right at dusk.

Drove the 22 minutes home with the bee's contained, once I arrived home I placed them in there new home space and let them settle down for approx 20 minutes while I grabbed a sandwich:}

I then suited up and went out in the total dark and removed the material used to contain them leaving a small entrance for them to come and go and many seemed mad and came out to check things out.

I placed a branch with leaves at the entrance they had to contend with as they emerged and returned to the hive.

About it for now, will take and post pictures in the morning while I'm out with a cup of coffee watching to see how things are going:}

As always any suggestions are welcome, Oh Uh should I fool with/feed them tomorrow or just leave them alone for a while?

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good Afternoon

Here's a few pics...there is alot of activity however; I don't know if that's normal or not lol

Going to just leave them BEE for today and maybe try and feed them tomorrow??? What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good Afternoon

Got to look inside the hive today and started feeding them and added 1/4 a pollen pattie

So far all good, as best I could tell:}

Got a nuc coming to install this afternoon...

Can't wait:}

1 - 20 of 20 Posts