Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee here and I had to move my hive about 120 feet last night. I placed a bunch of evergreen trimmings around and against the opening so they would reset their "GPS" to the new location. Most did but it looks like about a hundred are lost and flying around the old location. Now what? What will happen to the lost ladies?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The bees will search and find the colony at the new location after they can't find anything at the original location. If other colonies are close they may drift into those. As JG says, even if they are lost, 100 bees are so few they won't be noticed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can move a hive incrementally if going a relatively short distance. 5-10 feet at a time works for me. It freaks out the bees, but they will eventually find it. I find that if I can still see the original location from the new location, they typically find there way back. I have heard that turning the entrance 180 degrees also helps to trigger reorientation a little bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Things seem to have worked out. If they found the hive or the feral nest they are not flying around lost. Thank you all for the replies. The feral nest has been around for over fifteen years just being bees and never bothering anyone. They got me interested in actually keeping bees.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went out today and peaked at the hive. They have 6 good combs started. I know why you carry something to break apart the comb boards. These guys are gluing them together. The comb are filling out nicely. Best of all they weren't testy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts