Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved a hive yesterday, and I need to know how long the bees that flew out before we could get the front sealed up, will stay around the place where the hive was?
This place is being sold, and I need those bees to be gone as soon as possible.
(hive was moved 16 miles away)
Thanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My experience has been a week to 10 days max. are there any ferel hives close? or any managed hives within a mile or so? if there is they will join them sooner because they know where they are, otherwise they will hang around for a week or so, and drift off and die.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bigbore. This hive had gotten pretty defensive and was a big hive. I don't want anyone around until the last of the bees leave or die off.
I think there probably are feral hives around. These bees were ferals that I lured last year.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If they don't leave soon enough spray them with Dawn dishwashing liquid in water. A couple teaspoons of Dawn in a spray bottle kills them fast.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think those little "buggars" would be less defensive now that you stole their home and honey away from them! Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had to deal with a similar issue last month. If you go back at night with a shoe box and a spray bottle of sugar water they should be clustered up fairly tight. Give'em a soaking, sweep them into the box and then go dump them on top of the hive in it's new location. This worked well fo me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went and checked on the "left behind" bees, this morning. I saw no bees flying, and no bees where the hive was, but when we were leaving we looked up and there was a cluster about the size of a grapefruit, up on a tree branch.
I decided to let them be, and give them a chance to find a new hive or home. I imagine in a couple days they'll be gone on their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts