Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a hive this past weekend that had been left behind by a beekeeper who moved out of the area. It was 3 deeps high and still had bees in it. Boxes were quite heavy.

We moved it on a dolly with nice air tires to smoothen some of the bumps on the steps going down 2 flights of stairs. However, there were of course a few bumps along the way.

I had to lay the hive on its back to get it into my truck bed b/c I have a cap so it couldn't stand up. I drove about 40 mins and then unloaded.

Fortunately, it was cold last weekend when I made the move and no bees came out (I plugged the entrance).
Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Wood stain

So how much did moving them and particularly the hive laying on its back affect them? We are getting a warm snap here with temps in the 60's, so I would like to go in and see what's going on. However, I don't want to bother them too much since they were just moved

Thoughts?

·
Registered
610 Posts
You won't know until you look, but I would hold off as long as possible. Any damage that was done while moving them like you did can't really be fixed by you in my opinion. Just leave them be and let them take care of it. Once you know that hey are strong again, you can go in and inspect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts