Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have moved from Tampa to Alachua County Florida. Moderators, please update my profile. Beekeepers, we will have an open house soon. There are wild turkeys, deer, and a whole bunch of critters that weren't in the city. The cottonmouths have got to go according to the wife. There were bears in Tampa so I am sure they are in the Santa Fe River forest. My property backs up to a tract that will never be developed. You can't see or hear a neighbor, except when they introduced themselves.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A little different than Tampa! What town are you in?
I think bears might be a consideration depending where your at.
It shouldn't be very hard for you to find a few great places to keep bees

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes,bears are definately a problem in the northern part of the state.I lost three hives to bears this spring.I now have two Labs and no more bear problem.Also,as a plus,no more possums,*****,cats or teenagers.My property is three acres bordering the Blackwater State forest
so we are critter heaven.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would so so so much like to move to north Florida , Brandon, Hillsborough Co. sucks. So that is where you went to :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with your wife on cotton mouths they will come right at you in the water. While a good old rattlesnake will try to stay away.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are just north of LaCrosse off 121. There is even a small spring on the West side of the property. Good thing it is over 5 acres. It is quite a change from Tampa - for the better.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I spent a lot of time not too far from there doing field research for my MS from UF. I hope you enjoy that area as much as I did!

Tom

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Close to Dadant they might have the skinny on the bear problem!
How will you handle it?
Fence? Try to find a yard in a populated area?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The property has a field fence, but bears go over, under, or through fences. The cub was killed almost downtown (population 155 with my wife and I) so populated does little for hungry bears. I would rather build a stable platform and use a ratchet strap to hold it down and together. The wife wants them where the dogs cannot run into them anyway.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Your wife is dreaming! If you leave garbage outside, or bird feeders, or deer feeders, the dogs will have the company of bears for sure, and right at the house. Get an electric fence to keep the bears out of your beeyard and bait it with a few strips of bacon hung on the wires so they get zapped and understand what the fence is all about. Bear fences are effective and fairly inexpensive; thousands of Alaska residents can't be wrong on this issue!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ooh Rah! My location is finally updated. I should have tried to sell stuff before the move, or said a discouraging word about MB so the moderators would have noticed sooner. There were 3 deer in the front yard last night, not the back as usual. Now if I could only find a good deal on a tractor!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts