Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experimenting with using a top entrance on one of my hives. I have an entrance reducer on the regular entrance and the inner cover propped open about an inch. The inner cover was propped open in the back, but yesterday I moved it so that the opening is facing forward. Today I noticed that a large number of returning foragers, laden with pollen, are hovering near the location of the old entrance. I watched for a while and not many seemed to be finding the new entrance - despite the fact that they must have left from it this morning.

Is this a problem? Will they eventually find the new entrance? Is there anything I can do to help them find the new entrance?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
They will get used to the new entrance - it will take some time - a few days at most.

If I have a hive where I want to force the foraging bees to reorient, I lean a piece of plywood close to the hive against the ground and the telescoping cover. Some say to force a reorientation you need to make the bees change directions three times - I have not had difficulty using the plywood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm a little worried about the foragers who are stuck outside. It's not a very strong hive and I want to lose as few workers as possible. They'll eventually make it in?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
It helps if you don't have a screened bottom as the smell of the hive from the bottom can confuse them. I would close it off if you do. They will sort it out, but it will take a few days. As long as the nights aren't cold they should have a few days to sort things out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts