Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I have 4 hives that I’m still feeding a lot of sugar/water to; 2 were packages and two were NUCS. Each hive has taken 1 gallon from last Saturday to Thursday, in total since I hived them they have each taken about 5 gallons. My question is the frames (foundations only no drawn wax) don’t seem to be filling out on the outside of the brood box. I have moved them to the inside and the filled out frames to the outside. Good move or bad?

Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
8 frame or 10 frame??

If its 10 frame and you replaced frame #1 with #3 and frame #8 with #10 then you did good! Depends on brood also!....good luck!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hate to be the only naysayer on this subject, but passed on another related thread just minutes ago. IMO stay out of their knickers. The colony bases their growth rate on their perception of field forage availability and the volume of brood they can protect. If you are wiser than they, And I doubt that, then "help out". They have been at the survival business for a little longer than you. Why would you want to second guess the experts?? And set them back? Do you doubt that they are making the most progress possible with safety? Keep in mind that the first year colony is operating in the establishment mode and survival of the species is at stake. Yes, you can push them, but you take the safety measures out of their format.

Walt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts