Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mid-summer captured swarm, was no more than 300 bees, has totally filled the nuc, last week 2 frames of brood still, must have hatched, it is bustling. Going in today, should I move them to a single deep for winter? Still mild weather into next week here. Ive got plenty of deep capped honey frames to fill it up. Or leave as a nuc, with a candy board and mini quilt box?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If you have another deep nuc box available my choice would be to add it to your nuc, filled with the capped frames of honey. You would also need a nuc sized rim for sugar blocks over the winter. In general bees seem to winter better in taller, narrower configurations rather than spread out in a single 10 frame box.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have another deep nuc box, your suggestion was one I was thinking of also, Im gonna do exactly that - thanks for the advice Mike G - Mike C

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I do have another deep nuc box, your suggestion was one I was thinking of also, Im gonna do exactly that - thanks for the advice Mike G - Mike C
That is my plan for my new nucs. This will be the first time I try wintering in nucs. I'll put a second nuc on top with sugar and insulation. Sadly, honey collection has been minimal this year so I have no frames to spare. See how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts