Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bitty little hive that I have been overwintering in a building, tucked into some bales of wood shavings for insulation. The bees are hanging in there, but we are supposed to have temps of 50 degrees tomorrow.

I want the bees to be able to fly, but I don't want them flying inside the building. Right now I have their entrance blocked so they can't leave the hive. I am thinking of moving them tomorrow morning, early, to their outdoor location, but I am concerned about leaving them out there when the temps dip again.

If I block the entrance and move them back inside when it gets colder, will I be doing them any harm? As far as they will be able to tell, they will be in the same place for the next warm up. They have an empty medium above their cluster where they are accustomed to going to feed on sugar and a frame of capped honey.

I really really don't want to freeze them out after they have hung in there so well during our super long, cold winter.

Has anyone else moved bees out for warm weather, then back in again until the next warm spell?

·
Registered
435 Posts
How about moving them out w/ the bales of shavings? Flying will be good for them so I'd at least put them out and then move them back at night. However, if you can put them out and stack the bales around them--leaving the entrance open--that is just as good as putting them back in the building (unless it is heated). If they have food they will be fine overnight provided they are not too few in number. During the day the sun will help warm them so they can move and get food even if they can't fly. I had a softball size cluster make it through last winter w/ no protection (little warmer here though). They did start out large but the mites almost did them in. They are doing great this year.

Don't think moving them will bother them much provided you are gentle.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, I've got a small 3 frame nuc that I've been moving in and out to the same spot each day that it's nice enough. They were only 1 1/2 frames of bees to start the winter which is why I left them inside. After 5 months they're now about 4-5 frames and pretty soon will just be leaving them outside! Good luck,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I put the hive outside today and it was sooooo great to see ladies orienting and flying and basking in the sun. We are supposed to have high winds and more !! snow tomorrow, so I brought them back inside and plugged up their entrance. Fridays temps are heading back to 50 degrees, so they will stay inside until then. I love watching bees fly, especially after this winter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts