Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that one my dead hives had a mouse in it to which it chewed through 9 frames. I was going to leave the hive body and frames out in the weather for a couple of weeks to air it out. If I melt the destroyed comb will the wax smell like urine? Or should I just burn all the frames and comb?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Mouse Guards work. With that said you will need to decide what to do to salvage the frames.
Do the frames have large holes, like 4"+ or smaller ones?
Bees can repair the damage
If you leave the frames out in the open you will probably have further damage..
You can use the combs to hive a swarm.
You could spray the combs with a 10% bleach solution. 1 part bleach and 9 parts water.
Ernie

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I found out that one my dead hives had a mouse in it to which it chewed through 9 frames. I was going to leave the hive body and frames out in the weather for a couple of weeks to air it out. If I melt the destroyed comb will the wax smell like urine? Or should I just burn all the frames and comb?
Why wouldn't you just put bees back into this equipment? Or put it on another hive?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the comb is old and needed to be rotated out anyways. I just didn't know if I melted it would it still smell like pee?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
9 frames wont yield enough to take a chance on. just toss it. good luck,mike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
One time or another I think we've all been through this situation. I'd toss and burn.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just take the wax out and put new foundation into the frames IF the mouse didn't gnaw on the frames very much. Waste not want not. OMTCW

·
Banned
206 Posts
Melt it down as you would any other frame. I have done this many times and neve smelled it in the wax. If your worried, remelt and mix with a larger quntity of non- moused wax. Most of the urine will have soaked into the wood parts any way. Air them out good.

ut

1 - 8 of 8 Posts