Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't use mouse guards last winter. I didn't know any better.

I'll have to check into buying some.

The bees are still out during the day, is it to early to put them on to leave in place?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
because I am now using SBB I leave the mousegards on most hives all year only removing them when we rotate the hive bodies for about 1 month
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CF, I'll probably block the entrance with my own devices but I guess I just need to know how much opening they need at all times. I know they come out in early early spring and don't want to completely trap them in. I didn't last year and they occasionally came outside for cleansing flights when weather permitted.

I'll take note of some internet pictures of their winter set ups.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also have never used mouse guards--but learned the hard way last year! So now I have these "L" shaped pcs. of metal with holes in it. BUT how am I suppose to install them. Does the bottom of the "L" go out in front of the hive body on the landing board or do I have to take the hive apart to install them??? I know it sounds crazy but they look like they are made to go the other way!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
finding a big mouse nest stuffed in your hive is a drag,they ruin good comb and poop all over.i always try to get my mouse gaurds on early.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My mentor told me to simply staple along the edge of the entrance reducer opening. THe mice hate that. It took 2 minutes and about a dozen staples. We'll see how it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts