Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a good thing I have a screened cover over my mountaincamp spacer, because everytime I check on the girls and they are the least bit active above the sugar, they're buzzing and pounding on the screen as though they would like to put a hurtin' on me.

Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes mine have been pretty agressive this past week. We MC'd some of our hives several weeks ago with the cold snap we had. Started feeding patties last week for spring buildup and I must say they were a little testy...

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I've got nothing from the 9 hives and 6 nucs I'm doing that with. I've even accidently pulled off a couple of my inner covers when I pull the outer cover off. I was thinking I'm amazed how docile they are when I peak in on them. My bees aren't normally hot by they aren't docile when improperly disturbed. I didn't even use smoke the last couple of times, though I still wear my veil as I know as soon as I get ****y they'll give me a facefull. I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't attribute the agression to the MC method, some are usually a tad bit testy in the fall and winter defending their stores, its normal.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I took 6 stings last week(had a 1 inch gap on my suit and they found it) When i took off the lid, they didnt move, but when i stuck my hand just inside to add more sugar, I was lit up like Christmas in January. Whilse they were stings the heck outta me, i finished, and saw 4 more get in and decided it was time to walk through the woods. After about 10 minutes, they left me alone finally and i was able to get the stingers and the other 4 bees out of my suit. Amazingly, they just wanted out, not to sting. Their meanness was no different to me than when the fall had ended and winter had began. About the samem except this time they found a hole.....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I just went up to see of they had any more and they do not, they have moved all newspaper outside the hive as well. That was 5lbs in a week. I know they moved some of it out, but not sure if they consumed the rest.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading about all the hive failures this winter, I am beyond grateful mine are (so far) making it thru (knock on a huge piece of wood). Considering what I have put them thru my first year, plus SHB and VM like bad. Ugly winter weather, for North Atlanta - our first day close to 60 in forever and the bees are finally flying and bringing in bright yellow pollen - the only blooms I see are camelias and pansies, neither of which I have observed a honey bee on.

They better not get too rambunchous, however, we won't reach 50 until next wednesday with lows below freezing.

The bees were never real docile, nor that aggressive - They must be experiencing cabin fever.

You go, you little bees

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I lived in Palm Bay and you wouldn't let me out side I would get upset also. I have been to Palm Bay, very nice. Tony

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been to wyoming, but not lycoming - neither place I'm positive i'd like to over-winter, unless I liked snow, which I do on a post card, so I'm sure that you can relate to cabin fever better than I, as I can just barely get thru our 'mild' winters.

Dev - you and I, tho living probably 30 miles or so from each other, have such different bee experiences (take note if any of you place too much emphasis on geographical location).

I went into winter with 2 deeps, the top of which was honey-capped. I mountaincamped with 4 lbs early December. On a 'warm' day some weeks later, I noticed a number of bees clustered up on the top edge of the sugar, with some of it gone. I freaked out, thinking they were going to eat the whole thing before I had another good opportunity to add more sugar, so I immediately added 4 more lbs.

My bees use the sugar to poop on (some) and to practice for the snow board competitions at the Vancouver olympics - they're just not that interested in eating it (can you blame them considering the poop issue?).

Today was nice - did you have pollen comming in? Where is it comming from?

I've gone veiless a couple times this winter peaking under the newpaper, but I'm sure smoke and the suit will be used when I maintenance & reconfigure the hives after this weeks freeze - They have an attitude.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi hoodswoods...I'm in Loganville, so about half way between you and Dev. I am following the mountaincamp thread with great interest. I have read about feeding dry sugar in some books but have not tried it. I have been feeding 2:1 Suryp all winter and my bees seem to be making it...clusters are smaller than I'd like, but it is Late January. Mine have been tearing it up, about 1/4 a quart or suryp a day and working the dandelions, chickweed, winter honeysuckle, camellias. I've seen some henbit showing color, but no bees working it yet. I laid down in front of one hive yesterday afternoon to watch all the bees zooming in and our (I was afraid my boardman feeder was being robbed there were so many in and out) and the ladies paid me no attention. We'll see what tonights cold snap brings. I think we're still a ways away from the maples opening, but I have seen some ornamental cherries buds swelling...Can't wait for Spring!

·
Registered
54 Posts
but when i stuck my hand just inside to add more sugar, I was lit up like Christmas in January. Whilse they were stings the heck outta me, i finished, and saw 4 more get in and decided it was time to walk through the woods. .
:lpf:

This made me laugh because I was just hoeing some weeds around my hives and they acted the same way. I couldn't believe how fast they started swarming out of the reduced enterances. I had to trot away from there as well.
I am glad somebody started this thread because I was wondering what the deal was.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The outside temp also has a lot to do with it. Mine are much more docile at 40 degrees than 50 degrees. So far when I 've checked them and added more sugar, done it without gloves, veil, or smoke. I do it quickly, and only got nailed once.

·
Registered
355 Posts
heck my bees dont even move hardley when i add sugar but i think it is because it is in the upper 20's to low 30's when i do it. it is a tad to cold for them to fly. one of these days they just might suprise me i guess. i dont use gloves vail or anything since it got cold.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Hoods, come down here, I can almost promise you that you will be ok when you lift the lid, but let me assure you that the second your hands break that plane into the top medium(the very edge) you would certainly wish you had a veil...LOL.. They got me through my sheriff suit yesterday in the shoulder 2 times, and were doing everyhting they could to get into my jacket. There wasn't just a hundred or so, there was so many on my veil that i could barely see. Needless to say, they didnt stay long. When i took my jacket off, there were stingers all over the place where it zips together, same place they got through last time......I was simply amazed at the sheer numbers.....They are bringing in pollen from all over, but wont touch the syrup i put out for them. The cleaned house on the granulated sugar tho!!! I put 5 lbs on last week, and i cannot say for sure they ate it all, but its gona and so is the paper it sat on.....I know some were carrying it out and away from the hive tho, saw them with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts