Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size motor comes w/Dadant 33 frame extractor?

I bought a used extractor & it literally takes hours to spin off frames. What is a typical time to spin of your frames?

Anyone know a good place to get a replacement?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would run a 1/2 or 3/4 HP Capacitor start. If you run all deeps or mediums I would go with 3/4. If you run all shallows like I do 1/2 will be fine.
I would check with Dadant to see what they say.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like it is turning too slow. I have a 22 frames and I let the spin for about 10 minutes. Maybe someone changed the pulleys or maybe you are running a gear motor that is geared to slow. I run a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM and it works great. Be aware the motor size can be based on the pulley sizes.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
What is a typical time to spin of your frames?
3 minutes. First of all is the honey crystallized or very thick like jelly? It really doesn't take a lot of HP to spin the basket once it is up to speed. All the motor is doing is overcoming the friction in the bearings and a little wind resistance. Do you have any way of measuring how fast the drum is turning?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I start mine slow and run a little longer, maybe 6-10 minutes. I run foundationless and try not to blow out comb. By midway through a run, it's humming pretty fast. Are the bearings on the drum ok? It should ultimately spin as fast as the motor/pulley combo will let it. Pretty sure mine runs 1/2 hp 1750 rpm on a Dadant 20 frame.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the machine is fairly new. It seems to run pretty fast. I wouldn't know how to "clock" the rpm's. I am certain that the original motor was replaced. The honey is a bit crystalized. Not happy w/spinout time. I guess I will have to contact DadANT. Is there a rep on this site?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
The honey is a bit crystalized. Not happy w/spinout time.
If my honey is crystallized in the cells it will not come out. Options are to crush, heat and strain or give it back to the bees.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Call Dadant and they will give you the number to factory that makes them. They are very helpful I'm sure they will be able to fix you up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts