Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this swarm the first week in May. Had some trouble with them superceding the queen like 2 times but it was productive population wise. I made a split from it mid June. At hat time,,,the queen was producing wall to wall brood. I had intentions on making a split last week but my queen order had been delayed. today about 5 oclock,,,I noticed a few bees messin around with I hive body I had set on the front of a car. I was setting this hive up for the split. Had some drawn comb in it and screen blocking the entrance to keep "stuff" out. I looked and there were bees inside. They had to work real hard to get in there! I pulled the screen and within ten minutes, the hive had bees all over it. Needless to say, the hive up on the hill from the car was a blaze with activity. So I knew what was happening. Grabbed a couple of beers and decided to watch the show. On a side note,,, I had a sona tube with a frame of comb not far from this activety up on my deck. The bees were all over it as well. Now, I kept looking for a ball of bees in my yard or close to the hive area. No cluster. The bees were swarming directly from the mother hive to the hive on the car. Never seen a post on the forum bout that! I watched for about two hours. I never saw the queen go in just hope she did. I'm assuming this is the mother queen. I'm excited to have two genetic profiles of this queen. I shall see if I can better manage this in the spring flow. Tomorrow, I think I'll grab a frame of brood and put it with the swarm to hold them in. :D

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.K. I am a dumb a--.:s The sweet swelling comb during a dearth incited the bees to check it out. Flurry of activity. Guess I shouldn't have gone out for more beers before I posted.:doh: Went out just now to check on my new hive,,,,,,,,,,,,,ain't no bees in there. Well, I learned alot of things today.

Your humble servant

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the frames and found one that appeared to have had a section of comb removed down to the foundation. There was no honey in the frames. The hive has been there for several days. Why would they rob wax? If the weather holds, I'll take a peek and see if there are swarm cells. Guess that will tell the tale.

Thanks
Rick SoMd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts