Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to use moth balls instead of the crystals? I have a real bad case of the moths in my stored frames. I'm going to need them real soon. I set out about 30 frames in the sun which drew out most if not all of those little ba$turds. They (the frames) look pretty clean now but want to make sure they are gone. I had a hive swarm a couple weeks ago,(while on vacation), came back only to find an extremely weak hive overwhelmed. I swapped out most of the frames with un-infested frames, added a frame with brood and , loaded with bees from a stonger colony, feeding with sugar syrup and added a new queen since I could not locate the original one. Trying to get this hive strong enough to make through the winter.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
No, the chemicals are different... If memory serves me right, it's the pdb (paradichlorobenzine?) in the crystals that kills the wax moths.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
745 Posts
if you are going to use the frames right away just stick them in the freezer over night to kill all of the worms and eggs.

Moth balls will kill your bees dead.......quick........school of hard knocks education.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll stack a few frames at time in the freezer and get that process started. With the moth balls, is there some kind of residue left behind that when you put the frames back into a hive after treatment it affects the bees?

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
745 Posts
Not sure about the residue on the wood itself, but might permeate into the wax. It might possibly come out of the wood if aired out in the sun for several days, but I would not chance it myself.

When I was 9 or 10 I had a hive that had wax moths in it, got the bright idea of throwing a couple of moth balls inside on the bottom board, dead hive in a couple of days. :doh: I told you not to ask how I knew!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Do not use moth balls, they will not work.. Use the crystals. They do leave a residual odor in the super and on the frames.

Lay the super on edge or end, and put a box fan against it. Run the fan on high for perhaps a day. That will air out the frames. I use an old empty deep super, set it up on the floor of the shop with a box fan against it. Then line my supers up on the other side of the deep. The empty deep super provides an air space allowing the air from the fan to get going without the super frames blocking the air flow. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 8 of 8 Posts