Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the most hives everyone has had at one time in there life as a beekeeper.
Me it would be last year 25 .

·
Registered
686 Posts
9 right now, and 11 after my 2 packages come this weekend. That's about enough to keep it fun, rather than becoming work.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Three now and if I had my way, only three, forever. Alas, I think bee biology makes splitting necessary, which means more colonies, which bums me out. I love my bees, but I won't love having twice as many.

Enj.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Started with 5 this year up to 20 and still catching swarms and doing cut outs. The only thing slowing me down is need more boxes.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Only 500 before the brutal winter. Shooting for 600 this fall, 1000 in a few years.

Crazy Roland
Linden Apiary, est. 1852

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Want more bees, build more equipments to hive them with more splits.
Grow more in colder country.
Want less bees, caged the queen for a while and combined them into one removing qcs if necessary.
Presently have 4 and growing from 7 last time. Would like to handle expansion and contraction successfully.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Three now and if I had my way, only three, forever. Alas, I think bee biology makes splitting necessary, which means more colonies, which bums me out. I love my bees, but I won't love having twice as many.
Enj.
Or look up your local 4-H or FFA club to see if they would like some splits from your hives. Or your local bee keeping club. Just do a frame exchange so you don't have to keep buying frames!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The most ive had at one time was 22. I am at 20 right now and hoping to get up to 30 by the end of June. I am going to try and go into winter with around 40 colonies consisting of nucs, singles and doubles.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This year I am at 10 hives which is my set limit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Came into the year with 40. I now have between 50 to 60 which I think is going to be my max. Its starting to feel more like work than a hobby.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I love my bees, but I won't love having twice as many.

Enj.
Fear not, you will need to split to maintain 3 hives. Any mistakes you make and end up with more than three are easily remedied.:thumbsup:

I have 5 stacks of equipment with bees in them and one I gave to a friend. I expect to be at three hives in the fall or I may try a nuc to overwinter for laughs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts