Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me this is probably in the forum somewhere, but I have not been able to find it in a comprehensive form. I also recognize it may be folly to ask, but here goes:

What is the most effect method of controlling small hive beetles? There are a lot of posts referring to this trap or that trap, oil coated boards or just making sure the bees have a small area to patrol and protect.

I would prefer to remain treatment free, but also want to use a method that requires the least amount of maintenance. Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
535 Posts
The IPK beetle trap from green beehives. I run one on every hive I have. I don't give SHB a second thought.

While there may be some who doubt they work I'm yet to see someone who has them say they don't work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I second the vote for entrance reducers. I also find migratory tops are better than telescoping covers with inner covers. Match population and real estate. That helps too.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I don't do anything. I do run migratory tops as I see telescoping covers and inner covers as a waste of money. I see some SHB in my hives and have never even thought about trying to control them. Strong colonies will control them.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I apply nematodes to the area around the hive in spring or early summer. keep the hives in good sunlight, and I never see SHB in my hives. Lucky me!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, you want to be pesticide/chemical free!! So do we all, I have gone with "The IPK beetle trap from green beehive", who also gives explicit instructions on how to build your own trap, just like the one he sells. I built them over the winter after having an infestation last year and this Spring. Once I swapped out my old bottom board with the trapped boards I made myself, I don't have a single SHB.

Do it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts