Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sure there are tons of challenges in beekeeping especially when you're new. There's where to get the knowledge, health of the bees, what to do and not do. There's always a critical error that could make you fail. What are the challenges you faced in beekeeping that had you almost given up?

·
Registered
461 Posts
For some reason, queen rearing in my area is really bad, even though it is mostly rural and forested area. Like single digit percent points of success bad. I cannot afford to buy a queen every time a hive loses a queen, so losing a queen is practically a death sentence for a hive. I have learned to just thy to raise tons of queens at a time and I will (maybe) get some that are viable.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Overcoming a laid-back, leave-them-alone attitude. Before mites this might have worked, but with mites killing most hives it isn't working.
Overcoming my spouse's desire that I not spend money on my hobbies is also a big problem. I can't imagine buying a queen or a nuc, for example. I bought a commercial smoker 2 years ago and got some dirty looks.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
For sure there are tons of challenges in beekeeping especially when you're new. There's where to get the knowledge, health of the bees, what to do and not do. There's always a critical error that could make you fail. What are the challenges you faced in beekeeping that had you almost given up?
You really should ask this question the beekeepers from UAE (per your location).
Whatever you hear here maybe total non-sense to you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Used to be keeping bees alive, especially through the winter. Now it is not getting carried away and buying too much anytime I go into a bee supply store. I have finally got good enough at beekeeping that this hobby pays for itself as long as I only buy what I need and occasionally what I want. If it is a big ticket item it could be a Birthday, Father's day or Christmas item.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Totally different from what we have here in UAE. Sorry to ask you guys but I just wanna hear how this goes for you. Here, of course, the climate. Though the bees love the sun, I guess, it's just too much heat for them. And of course the predators: the moths, bee-eaters, geckos, and ants.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
wiped out 100% by bears 2 times. lost all the bees and most of the gear.
1st time did not know bears were in the area, second time the fencer was damaged by lightning.
this was a remote Apiary, visited 2 times a month. 4 hives the first time 9 the second.

GG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bears I would understand, but someone stealing a hive? That's the first time I've heard of it. Can't imagine someone thinking of stealing a hive. Maybe, for fun? I mean, it can't be because they want something from it, right? Ridiculous. These people need to see doctors or therapists. I have a friend. She was always nice, but she has this condition where she gets things for no reason. She's seeing a therapist for it. I hope it helps though. Has anyone of you have any experience with therapists? How did it go?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
wiped out 100% by bears 2 times. lost all the bees and most of the gear.
1st time did not know bears were in the area, second time the fencer was damaged by lightning.
this was a remote Apiary, visited 2 times a month. 4 hives the first time 9 the second.

GG
I'm attempting to make a hive so anchored to the ground a bear will quit before he gets into the hive. It's made from white oak and basically the bottom board will have a plate with a stake through it. Then the corners of each box will have a nub and a dimple to interlock the boxes at each corner. And hopefully the latches like on a styrofoam hive would be strong enough to hold them together.
I had a bear coming around last fall and don't want anything to do with it.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I'm attempting to make a hive so anchored to the ground a bear will quit before he gets into the hive. It's made from white oak and basically the bottom board will have a plate with a stake through it. Then the corners of each box will have a nub and a dimple to interlock the boxes at each corner. And hopefully the latches like on a styrofoam hive would be strong enough to hold them together.
I had a bear coming around last fall and don't want anything to do with it.
Styrofoam hive?? really. I presume the latches like and not a foam hive.
at a fish camp I frequent, a bear tore thru a wall, as in 2x4 studs and 1x8 boards nailed on. ripped the boards off the studs ripped the studs out (2) then went in, then when leaving went out a different wall, you know bears hate to backtrack 10 or 15 feet when they do not have to. so a 2x4 stud wall with 1x8 sheathing was not even close to stopping the bear, and it preferred to make a new hole to leave. If you watched Wolverine the movie, if the hive can stop that dude then it can stop a bear.....

the bear will insert the claws into the opening for the bees and rip out with about 5 to 8 times your strength, if the board splits or loosens he is getting in....
i have seen them grab a medium super in their jaws and just wonder off, following for a mile or so found no frames clumps of wax etc, just like you carrying a 6 pack with a handle.

electric fence , or jail cell, or IMO the bees are at some "risk"

GG

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
Styrofoam hive?? really. I presume the latches like and not a foam hive.
at a fish camp I frequent, a bear tore thru a wall, as in 2x4 studs and 1x8 boards nailed on. ripped the boards off the studs ripped the studs out (2) then went in, then when leaving went out a different wall, you know bears hate to backtrack 10 or 15 feet when they do not have to. so a 2x4 stud wall with 1x8 sheathing was not even close to stopping the bear, and it preferred to make a new hole to leave. If you watched Wolverine the movie, if the hive can stop that dude then it can stop a bear.....

the bear will insert the claws into the opening for the bees and rip out with about 5 to 8 times your strength, if the board splits or loosens he is getting in....
i have seen them grab a medium super in their jaws and just wonder off, following for a mile or so found no frames clumps of wax etc, just like you carrying a 6 pack with a handle.

electric fence , or jail cell, or IMO the bees are at some "risk"

GG
I wrestled a bear once :)
His name was Ceaser at a bar called Filthy McNastys. :)
Lol.
Yea I lost. Thought I was gonna die. He stood on my back like a mountain climber conquering Everest.
He didn't need a flag.

·
Registered
2-10 frame deep Langstroth
48 Posts
The bears in my area have degrees in locksmithing, raccoons too!

I know of two people who had hives stolen ....some peoples children.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The bears I would understand, but someone stealing a hive? That's the first time I've heard of it. Can't imagine someone thinking of stealing a hive. Maybe, for fun? I mean, it can't be because they want something from it, right? Ridiculous. These people need to see doctors or therapists. I have a friend. She was always nice, but she has this condition where she gets things for no reason. She's seeing a therapist for it. I hope it helps though. Has anyone of you have any experience with therapists? How did it go?
It's money, if you steal a full hive and sell it you can make $200-$300 .
It is a problem for those who set out remote hives for pollination. I saw one fellow who ordered a branding iron that fits on a propane torch. It is his name and he brands his boxes and all his frames with his name burned on them.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
Going to work instead of building my worlds largest apiary. lol. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts