Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first nuc yesterday and set it up in new hardware close to my pond. Went out to check on them this morning and they are returning caked in pollen but there are a lot of mosquitos and gnats flying around.

Will these mosquitos and gnats harm the hive or honey?

·
Registered
209 Posts
no , mosquitoes are harmless to the bees not so good for people. make sure you have plenty of small fish in the pond. Gambusia affinis are the best if they will live in your climate. Also you can buy bt cakes that you put in your pond that kills the miquitoes with bacteria

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no , mosquitoes are harmless to the bees not so good for people. make sure you have plenty of small fish in the pond. Gambusia affinis are the best if they will live in your climate. Also you can buy bt cakes that you put in your pond that kills the miquitoes with bacteria
Thanks! I'm not really worried about the mosquitoes when it comes to people, just didn't want them or gnats to end up in the honey or to bother the bees. Unfortunately the pond goes dry during the peak of Summer so fish are a no go, I've got an unused well close by that I plan on pumping water from into the pond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts