Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to get a mosquito magnet for our yard. This is also where I keep my hives. The unit emits UV light.
Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't want it if it is harmful to my bees.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If it is an actual "Mosquito Magnet", then it uses CO2 as an attractant, not UV light. If it is a Mosquito Magnet brand mosquito trap, then the bees should be fine, because they are not attracted to CO2 the way blood suckers are. If the bees fly really close to the nozzle by accident, then they could get vacuumed up, I guess.

That said, I haven't actually set mine up near my hives.

If it's some other brand of mosquito trap that uses UV light as an attractant, then I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bees LOVE the blue end of the visible light spectrum, and can see UV. Perhaps the bees won't be particularly attracted to the light, after all they're pretty smart, but they'll definitely be able to see it. However, having done a study of wild bee biodiversity, I can tell you that I had many a bee trapped in my blue colored traps. My suggestion is if it's the UV one, stay far away from it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts