Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that thinks the Mosquito Joe franchise banner is out of place on a beekeeping site.
Maybe I am not well enough educated in this.
Don

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
No more than the Goof Off banner blinking at me now.

Hey, they pay the bills!

I keep seeing ads Google or somebody is directing right at me. They have determined I want that ultra-high-speed video camera, they just don't realize that there is no way I can afford $70k for one and they're wasting their time.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
In many cases the banner ads you see may be context driven. If you look at a lot of threads talking about forklifts, pretty soon you may be seeing banner ads for forklifts.

I'd much rather see banner ads - even for products I will never buy and might object to - than pay a subscription fee for Beesource. One way to look at it is that I am extracting money from the vendors of those possibly offending products (in the form of avoided Beesource subscription fees.) :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
And maybe one day it will be one of mine. I'll get the automatic hive scale running and buy ads here, and 99 outof 100 here will think whoever posted that pesky ad has lost their mind and nobody will want to mess up their hobby with such a piece of junk.

But if I get the other 1% to look, it would be worth it. And the 99% keep getting the forum for free.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
In many cases the banner ads you see may be context driven. If you look at a lot of threads talking about forklifts, pretty soon you may be seeing banner ads for forklifts.

I'd much rather see banner ads - even for products I will never buy and might object to - than pay a subscription fee for Beesource. One way to look at it is that I am extracting money from the vendors of those possibly offending products (in the form of avoided Beesource subscription fees.) :)
For example, another thread on equipment for moving hives just induced me to look up a hand-cranked platform lift I used to have where I worked. Any guesses as to what banner ad I've got at the top of this page now? It didn't take them two minutes.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I use an ad blocker. I have written a PM to Barry and told him if he needs revenue from me to ask. I've been around BeeSource long enough to remember when asking users for donations was the way the bills got paid. I guess collectively we users didn't contribute enough - hence the ads. They are probably necessary, but that doesn't mean we have to like them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The AdsChoices are normally generated because you visited a site with that product. I've never seen Mosquito Joe because I've never been there, but I see others I've been to. My small business drives ads like that as well. Even if you mistakenly went there a time or two, you'll get to see their ads, if they use the service. You have to have been away for quite some time for it to stop. Those have nothing to do with this site.

So guess what I am getting ready to google.......Mosquito Joes......

·
Registered
213 Posts
I mentioned "straight razor" on another post and shazam. there was an ad for a straight razor rite next to it. Maybe just a coincidence ,,,,,,,,Pete,,,,,, N3SKI

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
The AdsChoices are normally generated because you visited a site with that product.
could some one explain why I keep getting an add for TAI women, now I did visit Vietnam for a year 45 years ago, how did they figure that out?:)

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I keep seeing large chested woman trying to sell me t-shirts. I kinda like it.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Like others have said, the ads are content-driven. Might be what you visited lately, or might be what's posted on the page you're looking at here. For instance, right now there's an ad for Mosquito Shield at the top for me.

The one on the left says "Learn how repentance and change are really possible... Mormon.org". How'd they know I stayed out too late Sunday night? :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts