Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for mosquito control that is bee friendly? I have 3 hives not far from the backyard deck and the Mosquitos are bad. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any suggestions for mosquito control that is bee friendly? I have 3 hives not far from the backyard deck and the Mosquitos are bad. Any ideas appreciated.
If possible, eliminate any standing water. Poorly drained gutters. ANYTHING that can hold the most insignificant seeming amount of water is habitat for mosquitos. Any of the BT products for mosquito control are safe for bees. Beyond these things there isn't much you can do.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have spearmint in my flowerbeds. I cut them back and steeped them in water for a week, then used that to spray around the side of the house and windows. Works for a few days. I then took some spearmint vine and rubbed it on the screens of my windows, that helped better, at keeping them from coming in around the screen gaps at the window frame.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
How about a bucket of water as "bait" that gets dumped once a week (no exception). Easier to do in your backyard, though.

If it wasn't at your apiary, I would suggest a couple drops of dish soap in the water bucket so the mosquitos drown.

Our bug zapper gets a lot of them.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've heard of a device that emits a sound that emulates the sound that dragonflies make. Supposedly it drives mosquitoes away. I haven't tried it, and have no first-hand experience with its expediency, or lack thereof. Other than eliminating their breeding areas, in your immediate vicinity, or using strong pesticides (which is counter advised near honey bee colonies).

If mosquitoes are an issue in your area, and you like your bees, I'd resign myself to their presence, perhaps use personal insect repellents.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I live in a wooded area...bats will take care of the mosquito problems...we have dragon flies which seem to be interested more in my bees than the Mosquitos...they breed in the damp leaves also,which we have acres of. You can buy bats.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You can buy bats? I didn't know that. Where from? Or did you mean "You can ['t] buy bats."?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I read an article about keeping bats. If you make a bat house they may or may not move in right away, could take years before they use it. They said if you put bat poop around your bat house they could start using it quicker.

We live in the woods and have tons of bats, one even takes a midnight nap in our porch. We still have mosquitos.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Coopbee is dead on the money. Get rid of any standing water, no matter how small. Put one of the BT products in what you cant/don't want to empty, ie birdbaths, fountains, etc. Mosquitos will normally travel about 100 yrds or so from where hatched. If you have neighbors, they need to do their yard, or its a waste of time for you to do yours.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
You can buy bats? I didn't know that. Where from? Or did you mean "You can ['t] buy bats."?
You can buy bats....my brother did it...look on the internet....you can buy most anything! :)

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I read an article about keeping bats. If you make a bat house they may or may not move in right away, could take years before they use it. They said if you put bat poop around your bat house they could start using it quicker.

We live in the woods and have tons of bats, one even takes a midnight nap in our porch. We still have mosquitos.
Just imagine how many Mosquitos you'd have if you DIDNT have bats.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live on a couple acres wooded with a couple of small ponds and a niegboring wetland (swamp) area so I'll always have water. I think the bt dunks, bats and personal protection will my best bet to reduce mosquitos.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
And if bees use the same water source, what then?
Dump the water sources once a week like clockwork like Coop and bee bliss said. Most mosquitos species that I remember about take 8 days at a minimum to make a life cycle (think it is mostly 10 days). And the eggs can sit dry for up to one year. So there can be a rim of mosquito eggs on the edge of the water container for a long time just waiting to water levels to touch the eggs and hatch.

The BT is really effective when used properly.

But water sources as small as a soda can half filled with water has the potential to raise a few mosquitos. If you are by natural water sources, you likely will just have mosquitos.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got a barn full of bats (several hundred at least) within a couple hundred yards. They drink out of my pool every evening. I still have mosquitos until I put out the BT dunks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts