Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw on the Tonight Show that Morgan Freeman has started beekeeping. He said he started two weeks ago, and has them in Mississippi. It sounds like he got a package (he said from Arkadelphia, Arkansas). He mentions that he doesn't wear a suit or veil, but I suspect that will change as the hive grows in population and honey stores. For Mississippi, it sounds a little late to start, but I wish him luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Celebrity Beekeeper

Wow cool! Also from that article.

Freeman, who is known for his environmental activism, isn't the first celebrity to take up the hobby - he follows in the footsteps of late actor Henry Fonda and lifestyle queen Martha Stewart, while 2 Broke Girls actress Beth Behrs and her boyfriend, Mad Men star Michael Gladis, have also become amateur beekeepers.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Very interesting. He's starting big with 26 hives.This is good to see as it will bring beekeeping and the honeybee to the spotlight.

·
Registered
64 Posts

He was also on live with kelly and Michael yesterday and mentioned it. It was funny when he said he doesn't wear a veil or gloves and then he said I haven't been stung...yet.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts

First time beekeeper with 26 hives but doesn't wear a veil or gloves but has never been stung?... Remember when you started? How many mistakes did you make that resulted in stings with your one or two hives? Now imagine being a newbee with no veil or gloves. How many stings would you have gotten then? How much time it did it take for you to work those one or two hives? Having 25 hives I know how much time it takes for an experienced beekeeper. An inexperienced beekeeper with 26 hives? Normally this will be a great place to buy used equipment in the next year or two.

He may watch and hold a frame or two but there's no way he has the time to actually work them. Combining this with the required experience/time/effort required to effectively harvest honey from 26 hives and the fact that he's a celebrity who's time is VERY valuable and I seriously doubt he's actually "beekeeping". Owns bee's? Sure. Is a beekeeper? You decide.

·
Registered
638 Posts

First time beekeeper with 26 hives but doesn't wear a veil or gloves but has never been stung?... there's no way he has the time to actually work them. Owns bee's? Sure. Is a beekeeper?
I thought the SAME thing! No way he has time to work that apiary. While I dont go INTO mine but about every 10-14 days....I'm always DOING something.....from making boxes/landing boards, lids to cleaning SHB oil traps...fighting the ants...to just plain ole OBSERVING and learning their behavoir. Working a full time job leaves me no time hardly even to do THAT much and I only have 4 hives, not 26.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

I think its probably like previous posters said. He Owns Bees. Hey more power to him. Just dont be suprised when you run across some $35 a pound " Freeman Ranch Specialty Honey".

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

Very interesting. He's starting big with 26 hives.This is good to see as it will bring beekeeping and the honeybee to the spotlight.
His gardener is planting fields w/ clover for bee feed. He has a gardener. Does he also have a beekeeper? He'd better get one or he really will get stung.

Do we need "celebrity beekeepers" or do we need a "beekeeper celebrity"? Nor neither?

I guess this is mutually beneficial. Freeman gets noticed, the whole point of being a movie actor, for getting into the latest trend. And beekeeping gets publicity as something cool, because a Movie Star is doing it. Win/win.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

I think its probably like previous posters said. He Owns Bees. Hey more power to him. Just dont be suprised when you run across some $35 a pound " Freeman Ranch Specialty Honey".
Maybe he will start a "Newman's Own" type business selling hive products. Good for him, maybe good for some US beekeeper.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts

I can't say how Morgan is going about it, but he is 77. If I were 77 and well off, I would hire someone to do the heavy lifting... in fact, I'm not 77 and if I were well off I would still hire someone to do the heavy lifting...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

I can't say how Morgan is going about it, but he is 77. If I were 77 and well off, I would hire someone to do the heavy lifting... in fact, I'm not 77 and if I were well off I would still hire someone to do the heavy lifting...
:lpf::applause:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts