Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a quote that doesn't appear to be real is one of your cornerstones, your credibility is at best poor in my eyes. At worst the movie may be using the same poor quality fact checking and spreading 1/2 truths or downright lies to push an agenda.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/bees.asp

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I agree that a false statment is serious evidence of falsehoods. Wether it is lax fact checking or intentional is still to determined. What is the context of the quote and what was the overall intent of including it? For example you just quoted it. should I then assume you are spreading falsehoods? Obviously not so since you quoted it with the direct intent to point out potential error. So did they use it in the same or similar manner? I don't think they where trying to discredit the quote by any means. in fact they are depending on the reliability of it to some degree. But it is that degree that matters ost to me. they ae attempting to bring attention to an issue with the use of a phrase that serves that purpose. one that is legitimate. Not saying they are innocent. but if guilty. Guilty of just what and does it matter?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The context was that they stated the quote by saying it wasn't actually said by Dr. Einstein. Which made me wonder why they even brought it up.

I like the film and think it is a good illustration of what is going on in beekeeping today in many parts of the World. That said, I had some questions about the cinematography starting from the beginning of the film.

Why did they show a queen emerging from her cell in the wrong orientation? Would showing the shot inverted to the proper orientation disorient the general public who don't know how queen cells are placed on comb? When I saw that at the start of the film it made me wonder what else they would show incorrectly.

DCoates, I found it lacking an agenda.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Drew, cost a lot of money to make a film like that you have to either cater to your audience, have something to sell, or an agenda to push.

I just want to know how they got those flying shots following that bee with the antenna, pretty cool photography.

Don

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew, cost a lot of money to make a film like that you have to either cater to your audience, have something to sell, or an agenda to push.
Fully agreed. Given carte blanch to make up quotes to sell something (cause or money) seems...

Hey wait! I am going to use "Drew's honey is without equal and will bring peace to the world", Albert Einstein. Until someone puts effort into discrediting the quote, I guess it's fair game? I could put an asterisk the size of a varroa mite (that's what scholars call irony) behind the quote and in print even tinier at the bottom say "context unknown" ;)

The whole thing seems incredibly disingenuous. The movie is trying to cash in on a known false quote. For the drive by folks who merely read the quote but don't see the film they then spread the false quote. My mother in law is but one of those who bit, hook, line, and sinker who's repeated the quote to me. I corrected her and others but how many people are not corrected?

Sqkcrk, I'm glad the movie doesn't appear to have an agenda. It's very unfortunate how they advertised it.

Daniel Y, I never quoted it directly in my post. I fact checked the quote and showed the results.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
So you are angry about the use of an incorrectly attributed quote in the advertisement for the film? Is that the problem? Okay.

Have you seen the film? I think you should if you haven't.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
No biggie IMO....still a great piece of work

I really enjoyed the film, the european beekeeper was my favorite. All beekeepers should watch.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The context was that they stated the quote by saying it wasn't actually said by Dr. Einstein. Which made me wonder why they even brought it up.
They brought it up so that the viewer would either think he could have said it, or that it is what Dr. Einstein believes.

This is consistent with the new scientific method. The old scientific method purports that if one has received results using a controlled experiment, then a separate person using the same controlled experiment will yield the same result.

The new "scientific method" is that one states their dogma. If you cannot prove that they are wrong, then their dogma is scientific fact.

If you watch the PBS programs, or the National Geographic Channel, or the History Channel, or read Mr. Gore's book on manmade global warming, you will see the new "scientific method" in action.

Phil

·
Registered
590 Posts
The reason for the proliferation of so many fake quotes attributed to Einstein is that he has become synonymous with genius and wisdom. Surely, if Einstein had said these things, then they must be wise!

My wife (a teacher) was passing around this one on Facebook last night:

He never said that one either, but people sometimes like to invoke his name to whatever they are talking about to give their point an air of credibility.

It's just one of those things that people often do and never really think about.
I just laugh to myself & go on.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
It isn't the fake Einstein quote that gets me scopion....it's the drawing as an analogy to our education system. Who do the elephant, monkey, fish, etc represent? Are they suggesting that the various students are different species from one another?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
When a quote that doesn't appear to be real is one of your cornerstones, your credibility is at best poor in my eyes. At worst the movie may be using the same poor quality fact checking and spreading 1/2 truths or downright lies to push an agenda.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/bees.asp
The snopes link you provided says that the status is "undetermined", neither true nor false/fake.

Even if the quote is false, the movie is worth watching due to its excellent cinematography. For me, I loved the close-ups of:

A queen bee emerging
Worker bees packing pollen and drying honey
A queen bee depositing an egg into a cell
Queen marking
Grafting
Varroa mites on comb and bees

Also, until I actually saw what it takes to split 18,000 hives, I was never able to grasp the scope and complexity of the work of the big commercial beekeepers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It isn't the fake Einstein quote that gets me scopion....it's the drawing as an analogy to our education system. Who do the elephant, monkey, fish, etc represent? Are they suggesting that the various students are different species from one another?
My wife teaches special ed and I think she was trying to say that testing "her kids" using one standard is unfair to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
this fake quote is attributed to a french beekeeper syndicate UNAF in the mid 90ies.
Since this time it comes over and over and is maintained by french beekeeper's syndicates UNAF, SPMF and not for profit but very profitable "let save the bees" charities and all french journalists. Suisse and Belgium are very contaminated by our great french news! That's why (i think) this swiss movies is taking this quote seriously.
On every french documentaries about bees you have this quote at the begining.

Einstein a dit : "si l'abeille disparaissait, l'humanité n'aurait plus que 4 ans à vivre"

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't seen it, not sure if I will. Finding a quote like that, I feel like a cat who got pet backwards.

http://www.bingalingbees.com/our-honey--soap.html Scroll all the way down, this gentleman already beat me to the punch! Yes, I know it's a joke but it makes the point nicely.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts