Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one hive, and have been feeding them for a couple of weeks, since having a dearth. We inspected yesterday, noting eggs, a fair amount of capped brood, and some new bees. Then, about 1/2 hr. after inspection of the hive, my hive partner noticed lots of bees around the entrance and fighting. I came back to find many dead bees all around the hive, and continued fighting all around. My partner had assumed correctly that this was robbing, so she put a wet sheet over the hive and blocked most of the entrance. We read other robbing posts on this forum, so are going to put up a robbing screen today, but were wondering when we should check inside the hive, for the queen and just check on overall goings on. Why would the queen be killed? Should we be feeding and watering our girls while we have the screen up? How long should we leave the screen up. Anything else we should watch for? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
My son has been moving nucs into hive bodies and putting them into one yard sorta dedicated to newbee hives. We have discussed how these new hives must have few guard bees when first moved from a nuc to a hive so we half block the openings. But last evening when I pulled up to the newbee yard I saw what looked like a swarm around one hive and saw the telltale signs of a robbing. I blocked the opening down to a 2 bee wide entrance - in 2 min the frenzy had stopped. I'm gonna give that hive about a week before I open it back up (its dang hot here!!) maybe they will have built their defenses up a bit.... or they will be feeding on some cotton blooms.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You would be amazed how many bees can work through an entrance the size of a wine cork, or a 3/8" x 1 1/4" slot entrance. Make another arrangement for ventilation if you think it is too hot - like staple screen wire to the bottom of a super and put on top with the cover propped open. But unless it is really extreme, or they can't get water, I bet robbing is more likely to kill a weak hive than ventilation issues. If you put on robber screens you can leave them on all the time if you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts