Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If you don't do your homework you should not be surprised by the outcome of the test!

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
I've always wanted to try Caucasians and have never found a CA producer of them. Worth the price and shipping?

How soon are these shipping out?

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I've always wanted to try Caucasians and have never found a CA producer of them. Worth the price and shipping?

How soon are these shipping out?
Strachans had them for sale on an unadvertized basis several years ago. You might enquire there.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
Strachans had them for sale on an unadvertized basis several years ago. You might enquire there.
Emailed them and got an almost immediate reply back. Said they haven't done anything with Caucasians for a few years now. But, please let me know if you hear of another CA producer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Emailed them and got an almost immediate reply back. Said they haven't done anything with Caucasians for a few years now. But, please let me know if you hear of another CA producer.
old sol bees is just over the border in southern oregon and has caucasians. They are more expensive than other queens though.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
I know how we can find out ;)

Not that Rogue River, Oregon is much different. We have chilled winters which are very wet. Many bees don't built up fast enough, or even fly in the wet/cold, to take advantage of a lot of the flow. I've bred my local stock to shrink down during the summer dearth and grow quickly with pollen sub/feed right before the flow.

Since Caucasians are supposed to work well in these situations, it wouldn't hurt to try.

But at $70 a pop, I usually like to try a few before judging them. Certainly not all queens are created equally.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, don't bet the farm on them, but try a couple and see how they work into your apiary. $70 seems kinda steep.
If you are not able to over-winter, any bees are expensive.......
I would not go after any exotic genetics until you are able to over-winter.
It's not all genetics, you have to be able to give them what they need and treat as needed.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
Ha ha, I'll try to keep that in mind. But, we don't overwinter in Santa Cruz, we add our supers.

The trick for us here is "over-summering". Which I have about a 90% success rate doing... And have been doing for 18 years 🤓

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ha ha, I'll try to keep that in mind. But, we don't overwinter in Santa Cruz, we add our supers.

The trick for us here is "over-summering". Which I have about a 90% success rate doing... And have been doing for 18 years 🤓
are you getting eucalyptus honey yet?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
are you getting eucalyptus honey yet?
Only 3 hives came out of summer strong enough for supers so the crop likely won't be huge this year, but it has been blooming for about a month now.

The rest of the hives have quickly caught up and most have supers, but there is so much blooming now it likely won't have that strong eucalyptus taste.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only 3 hives came out of summer strong enough for supers so the crop likely won't be huge this year, but it has been blooming for about a month now.

The rest of the hives have quickly caught up and most have supers, but there is so much blooming now it likely won't have that strong eucalyptus taste.

I've been keeping bees for a while in Santa Cruz and this is my conundrum, I'd love to take advantage of the eucalyptus flow, but my bees are just coming out of "winter" and rarely have the numbers to take advantage. I've never kept italians, as I dont like feeding my bees, but Im tempted to try some if it means bigger early season numbers and eucalyptus honey

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,210 Posts
I have tried Italians and they have a REALLY hard time with the summer dearth. They usually require so much feed to keep them through summer, not to mention the robbing they initiate, that I have found them simply not worth it. Instead, I've been working on specific local lines that seem to be more feed efficient, shrinking down in the summer, but really fire up when I add pollen sub in Oct/Nov. My own home grown bees are the ones that all have supers. The others aren't far behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts