Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 11 NWC queens last week from CA.

Shipped USPS Express Mail. Clearly marked "Keep At Room Tmeperature".

Took 3 days, not the 1 to 2 gauranted.

Bees got so hot they were melted into the candy.

6 of 11 were DOA.

3 died in the next day, despite being watered and put in dark A/C'd closet.

The remaining 2 are suspect.

The supplier has been great and is shipping replacements.

Question............

Is it always a bear to get live queens in the summer??

Solutions???

The 4 Minn Hygenics I got from Southern Minn were introduced to Nuc's after delayed shipping and 3 days with USPS and heat stress. Only one of four survived. Not sure if they were killed or expired due to the ehat stress.

In short.... 15 queens shipped via USPS and 3 are alive.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have had nothing but good luck getting Queens form California, the last batch of six was shipped on June 21st . I have had mixed luck getting queens and packages form R. Weaver out of Texas. The conclusion I have come to is there is a weak link somewhere in the postal system depending on where the mail transits threw. Probably some postal worker that turns sick at the thought of Bees. And leaves them laying around until someone else dose their job for them. The postal ladies in our post office likes the bees coming thru there office. This spring when they called me for six packages, they had them setting on the front counter so they could watch them while they waited on customers. So the weak link ain’t there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have learned (the hard way) that when I get queens shipped I pay the extra for next day delivery via UPS. Queens shipped Monday, arrive Tuesday. Have never had a late delivery. My confidence level in the USPS (for delivery of queens or anything else alive) is ZERO. USPS is fine (and usually the cheapest I have found) for shipping things not alive, when time is not of the utmost concern.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gregg...... I will insist on UPS from now on.

You would think that the suppliers would insist since they have the experience.

I know Koenhen does but they were out of queens.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
They Ship Bees UPS and not just USPS?? I never knew I had a choice. Dose UPS also handle Package Bees or only Queens?

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are blessed BB........ One of the trade offs for living in the boondocks.

Not sure if UPS does package bees?? probably do...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't believe UPS does packages, but it's been awhile since I had to have any packages shipped, so don't quote me on that! ;) Bruce, next day UPS is very nice, but spendy, so I'm not sure it would be worth it for a small number of queens?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Almost forgot: not all queen breeders are willing to ship UPS (I have experienced anyway). Not sure why, must be more of a hassle for them, probably due to location.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Those not willing to use UPS, from my perspective, I'm sorry for their loss of business, because they've lost mine.

Where I live; from May to October anything living could almost guarantee to be dead if delivered to my residence via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Their delivery vehicles are not air conditioned and it's usually over 100F, and at some point in their delivery route sunlight will shine through a window . . . well, you get the picture. So I rented a mailbox for those times when I absolutely must receive living material via the USPS. At least it keeps them from being delivered in the rolling oven.

The one time I did have queens delivered via USPS, they delivered mine with another customer of the same breeder about 30 miles away on the opposite side of the city. Their remedy: I could either wait 2 days for them to retrieve them and then deliver them (in the rolling oven), or I could contact the person who received them in error and make arrangements to go fetch them (this I did), but you can imagine a 60 mile round trip on top of the stress of contacting the USPS with tracking number in hand to discover their error, then to find that I needed to take matters into my own hands in order to receive my queens while they still lived. Kinda makes me shy of using the USPS for living things.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I ship and receive UPS daily, and if I am not BADLY mistaking, UPS takes NO live animals. That would mean any queens shipped by them would have to be labeled as something else. I must admit I have shipped snakes as machine parts, but that is a gamble you take.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I've had several discussions with UPS including calling their corporate offices and they always say they don't ship any live animals including bees. Yet I know of people who get bees UPS. I wish I could find that "right person" to talk to or the right terminology to explain it. So far all I can get from UPS is the run around.

If anyone knows the secret to shipping bees UPS, please let me in on it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The UPS website says they will take certain animals as perishable goods, but that they will only ship them entirely at the risk of the shipper. They refuse to assume any liability for loss of the animals.

The following excerpt can be found at this URL:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/service.html

"(j) UPS provides service on a limited basis for packages containing some types of live animals. (The term "animal" as used herein refers to anything living, except plants.) UPS will only accept packages containing live animals for shipment within the United States and as set forth in the UPS Terms and Conditions of Service, available at UPS.com. Any package containing a live animal will be considered a perishable commodity and will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper's risk for any damage or loss arising from the perishable nature of the item. UPS shall not be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages."

·
Registered
457 Posts
Michael,

The Buckfast queens I was going to get from Canada were going to come via UPS, cost was $30 US for shipping. The USPS wouldn't ship them. Of course all of this is mote since they weren't allowed into the country.

A friend works at FedEx and they ship live fish so he doesn't know why they wouldn't ship bees. He thinks it just maybe too expensive. Maybe we can start a campaign to get FedEx to ship them. Might be worth the extra cost.

I've got 4 queens on the way, two from you and two from Tarheit. I'll see how well they arrive.

Pugs

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
This is what FedEx says about shipping live animals:

"Live Animals
FedEx does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gateway locations only). Household pets, such as domestic cats and dogs, are not accepted. For more information, please contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 1.800.405.9052."

·
Registered
812 Posts
>>>>>Took 3 days, not the 1 to 2 gauranted

My queens (from MB) took 6 days instead of 1-2. USPS does not guarantee the Express Mail. You have to do Overnight Mail to get a guarantee.

My past experience with USPS has been 50% lost on both bees and baby chicks. IMO,pay extra for fastest shipping method avaiable.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Yep, I goofed. I looked in my UPS papers and found a list of accepted animals.
Please, no more then 40 lashes. I'll be more careful next time, I promise.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Here is the list of accepted live animals from UPS Site:

"Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

* Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
* Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
* Fish (All)
* Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
* Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
* Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
* Worms (All)"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts