Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The longest day of the year and I was and am pulling empty supers and putting feed on! My bees have virtually no reserves at a time when the flow should be starting strong. The clover is starting and the top blossom on the alfalfa is purple, but the bees are not yet making a living. Talked to a nephew in North Dakota who knows a bee inspector in North Dakota who says many hives he is currently inspecting are on the edge for food supply. Something more to think about in the still frozen north.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Solar minimum Vance. Here in NE missouri, the main flow isn't going strong enough for extra yet either. Should have been early June at the latest. Main flow sweet clover is bloomed but the rainy and cold days limit flying time and nectar production. This week may be hotter and dry so I am hoping for a gusher.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
I see flowers but they seem to be only decoration and not putting out nectar yet. I have had to feed some too. First time feeding in June. Getting down to 46 - 48 F. most nights. Had queens flying this week and next; Barely marginal mating weather. Weather more suitable for making sauerkraut than honey:(

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The hives have been ignored for a few days but I actually went out this afternoon and smelled curing honey. I may have turned the corner on the main flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts