Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at lunch when I normally walk by the hives I see 200 to 300 dead bees laying on the carpet I have in front of my hive to keep the weeds down. Normally I see 5 to 10 bees laying out there. Everynight they are gone, I'm assuming the mice eat them. Nonetheless, I cleared off the carpet to see if more will be there when I check them this evening.

I inspected my hives Saturday. I removed drone frames from the hives that were scheduled for it and the others I checked to see if they needed additional supers by reviewing the landing board activity and the amount of bees in the top box (super or deep, respective to the hives size). I found nothing interesting about this one hive and only checked it's supering space. It is my largest and most active hive.

Considering it's one hive I'm thinking it may have had one of the area it's working sprayed with insecticide. The dead had legs crossed and tongues extended but otherwise looked fine. Wings weren't tattered, and they still had a healthy amount of fuzz on them. Does anyone else have other ideas or is there a something else I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ironically the more serious 2nd flow is just starting. The Black locust ended about a week ago and the blackberry is in full swing. The yellow clover is just beginning.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found about 20 dead on the carpet during lunch. Not sure what happened but it appears to be going away.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Could be they were piling up and the hive decided to have a house cleaning. Sounds like it's ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts