Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girls are all having a grand time freaking me out. No fighting just a lot of them. Doesn't look like they want to swarm as I was in there the other day and no swarm cells at all.
Let's see if this video works. Ok had to put on YT, sorry about the angle 1st video ever published ;)

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
521 Posts
Just the new kids figuring things out. Just a healthy hive doing their orientation flight as you suspected. Love it when the drones pile out at around 2 and the beat of their wings gets really loud.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They seem to want to do this almost Every time I want to go out to work on the weekends.
I am thinking they just want to give me a heart attack.

BTW, the top Med is a feeder, 2nd down Med is empty F-less frames & 2 frames with capped brood (I had to do this as my nuc had 2 med in then :waiting: and I needed to get them out), then Deep checkered with comb and F-less frames, then the bottom Deep full of comb/brood/larvea etc.
Trying to give them a lot of room and hoping it isn't Too much room.
Cloudy and gloomy today so I guess I won't get in to fix 2 combs in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Linda, that is awesome. My "aborted swarm" was just an orientation flight but with a ton of bees because they had been cooped up for days with cold rain. Now that it is warm they are predictable.

Love it when the drones pile out at around 2 and the beat of their wings gets really loud.
I haven't noticed the drones leaving but every afternoon around 4:00 they come home. They don't seem to be as graceful as the workers and crash land and fly into other bees :lookout:

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, the girls all just want to do this when I want to go out and play with them :( Sun is trying to come out today and it is cooler so I guess they want out ;) They seem to be going just a bit further today. Hope they all go out soon as I want to get in there today but the cloud cover is total

I will look for the Drones, I didn't notice before

1 - 6 of 6 Posts