Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is the other of my first two hives, the one that got all the 'drift' of the one close to it -- this one is much stronger than the one I had asked about the other day.

Saw no new brood ( could have missed it ) there was capped brood about the size of a small plate - second time not able to find this queen but there are a good amount of bees in here.

Saw NO queen cells at all, so doesn't seem to be in a state of queenlessness.

Doesn't have a 'queenless roar' - is very calm.

I'm thinking the likelihood is that the queen IS in there --- and I am just not seeing her or her new brood. If I had accidentally killed her in the first inspection --- or she had died --- wouldn't the bees have taken steps right away and I would have seen QC's ?

They have drawn out only about 2 - 3 frames, 2 others were already drawn. I saw no brood or stores in the drawn comb--- I did see capped honey in the new comb.

I stopped feeding this hive, as well -- possibly she slowed her brood laying due to this?

Thanks for advice!

Another note, when they were first installed, first couple weeks there were tons of drones ---- wondering if they killed them all due to lack of feeding on my part? There are lots of things in bloom here now --- I think I am worried over nothing, but the fact that this is the other of the two original hives that took 2/3 of the bees I bought initially -- and the second hive is dying! --- I am a little over concerned! Don't want to lose both.

And one last thing --- every time I try to feed there is robbing that starts, vicious robbing.

Trying to avoid it, but don't want to wreck their chances.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fed them for 2 weeks with frame feeder, but tired of drowning bees --- tried entry feeder with most of the front blocked off and they all went crazy in the yard.

If they have capped honey, they shouldn't be wanting for food really, right?

No way to take a decent pic, sorry ...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am to new to give you an answer to your main problem but if you still want to feed inside the hive and dont want to use board feeders you can use baggie feeder insted.
I use mother lobe divsion board feeders and other then the space they take up I dont have any problems. I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts