Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems this CCD story just gets bigger and bigger. Now there is talk of monoculture (single crop acreage) being another factor. The bees get food where they can but will opt for an easy meal even if it means 99% of the pollen they bring home is from one species. The result is a weakened immune system.

Check out this article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8467746.stm

I guess it's like humans and junk food. We love it cause it's so readilly available... but too much of it is no good and we get sick. Same with the bees. With monoculture we've given them an endless plate of big macs and quarter pounders....

The solution is to return to small scale farming but I don't see that happening any time soon... unless maybe after armegeddon or something.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm reading "Thr Omnivore's Dilemma" right now. "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" is also another good read.
My best advice is to support local farmer's and the Farmers Market. Food, its what's for dinner. I cannot support grocery chain meat. My kids are grown, but knowing what I know now, I would be looking for a way to keep chickens, and pigs if I had to feed a brood.
"As a society we Americans only spend a fraction of our disposable income feeding ourselves – about a tenth, down from a fifth in the 1950s. Americas spend less on food than any other industrialized nation, and probably less than any people in the history of the world. This suggests there are many of us who could afford to spend more on food if we chose to. Aren’t we spending it on cell phones, tv, and other goods?”
“Our food system depends on consumers’ not knowing much about it beyond the price disclosed by the checkout scanner. Cheapness and ignorance are mutually reinforcing.” Michael Pollan -The Omnivore's Dilemma

Keeping bees for me brings me close to the earth, no middle man, no agribusiness, no chemicals. I can't wait for the Farmers Market to start again, so I can get my hands on some real, fresh food.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
My bees suffer CCD as bad as the next guys and are surrounded by a highly diverse mixture of residential flowers. Our climate allows them to collect this diverse mix about 364 days a year and there is always something in bloom. In my neighborhood I'll attribute CCD to cellphones before lack of pollen diversity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I currently live in an apartment in the middle of the Dallas Metroplex, however, we are planning on moving to Hill Country eventually, and walking a fine line between self sustainability and "anti-social whack-job planning for the end of civilization as we know it" :p

It's not that we are anti social (or waiting for Armageddon), it's just that if you want really good food, it seems that you have to grow it and/or raise it yourself.

The hives we are starting this spring are the first step down that road.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Some of you may like to read "Deep Economy The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future" by Bill McKibben.

I read "IN DEFENSE OF FOOD" by Pollan...

Food and water are still important, almost as important as managing hedge-funds...:rolleyes:

If you're ever interested in reading about poop (isn't everyone?), I would recommend:

The Last Taboo: Opening the Door on the Global Sanitation Crisis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts