Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not sure about the price of the bees, but the woodenware prices always made me cringe in fear. Unassembled brood boxes at Thorne's go for....are you sitting down...about £32-£34, that's about $50 right now....for one unassembled empty brood box. You might be able to surface ship stuff from the States cheaper than that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
We would clearly need lots of pictures if you did that :D but I can't say I'd blame you.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I have mixed feelings on going. Executive Order published January 3rd eliminated my job and many others. So my manager found a position in the UK for me. I want to see the Buckfast Abbey and Europe, but I have made a lot of friends at the monthly bee workshops at USF, with the Tampa Bay Beekeepers Association, and the Florida State Beekeepers Association.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Does Langstroth size even exist over there if you did ship stuff? If uncle sugar is paying the move, I would pack a bunch of new knocked down equipment, some foundation. hammer, saw and nails in my household goods. Furniture you know!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Cons: Be aware that most things in the UK are much more expensive. Food is about 50% higher. Gas last August was the equivalent of $8.09 a US gallon. Housing is also very expensive. You must by a GPS, known as a "Sat-Nav" or you will be forever lost on the roads and made destitute by the cost of finding your way home as none of the roads are set up in the straightforward US manner.
Pluses: The Brits get about twice as much vacation a year as the US. If your employment is at a professional level (doctor, lawyer, high power corporate exec) life is as comfortable as over here. No one goes bankrupt over medical costs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
<They have Langstroth and National. >

And Commercial, and Smith, and WBC, and Modified Dadant,and National 14 x12, and various Longhives, and now we have BeeHaus, no wonder we cannot get cheap hives.

If you use Plastic Langstroth foundation you better bring some with you, I got mine from Canada, nobody sells them here

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking of bringing one National, one Commercial, and one Langstroth. So I will add a case of foundation to my "household goods", medium or deep more useful?
I am thinking all cypress for that environment. I am not familiar with Deal. Western Red Cedar is not durable enough for my tastes.
What is wrong with getting lost in the British countryside. It is not like you could drive all day and end up in Mexico or Canada. If food is twice as much, I will eat half as much. I have a choice of military or British health care so, no worries there. I have lived or been to several countries with social medicine. This is not a political forum or opinion of mine.
This is looking better all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts