Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We extracted about five or six supers of honey and put the frames outside for the bees to clean up. Unfortunately, it wound up raining the second day and now the comb has some moldy looking spots on it. :doh:

We are not sure if we need to cut out all the comb that has the mold or if the bees can clean it up in the spring when it's time to put them back on the hives. It is not a lot of mold, but I wouldn't want moldy honey!

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW we also learned that is not a good idea to put moist comb on your back screened porch and then turn the ceiling fans on-let's just say there were more than a few bees coming to visit thanks to the faint smell of honey and comb.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
The bees will clean it, don`t worry bee happy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a relief, I would hate to waste all that beautiful comb they built! :D

Guess I'll just let it dry out and then find a way to stick it back in my freezer until spring. My living room is now full of mildly wet supers with the fan on high, nothing like the constant smell of honey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
Why not just put them back on top of the hive now and let the bees clean them. In a few days, they will be dry and won't mold or smell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could put them back on the hive but am worried about them getting too distracted with the new comb to deal with the SHB. Peraps I could do that one super at a time though. :scratch:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top