Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a super out of my barn yesterday and while inspecting it I noticed 2-3 of the frames had green mold on them, will it be ok to use them or will the mold have a adverse affect on the bees? thanks!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,105 Posts
To me it would depend on the extent of the mold. If it is mild give them a good shot of sun and dry weather for a couple of days and let the bees clean them up. Just an opinion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
Mold has no adverse effect on beeswax; do not discard mold-covered combs (bad appearance and odor). Frames (w/ dead bees and brood) should be taken to a warm, dry place, separated, and allow to dry and mold growth will stop. A month or so after last frost, place frames (in original supers) on top of strong colony and bees will clean and polish. Frames may then be reused for brood and/or honey production [Ref 9, p324].
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top