Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the idea of no chemical treatment for my girls. It is hard for me because I don't like the idea of letting the weak die.(bleeding heart) However I believe chemicals are increasingly a problem for good health to bees and humans. With that in mind, What can I do to keep the sugar water for feeding from molding so rapidly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Some people claim a little bit of bleach in the syrup takes care of that. do a search here and see what turns up.

Others use Honey Bee Healthy and say it retards mold. I haven't tried either yet, so I can't speak from personal experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
I had a top-hive box feeder (gallon) a month late fall/winter with 2:1. They never drank it - it never molded.

During the summer I run 1:1 (gallon) with HBH. I never have had them not consume all before any mold appeared
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
palmlico

2 parts sugar to 1 part water by weight or volume.

Michael Bush has good info.

A trusted resource also advised heating to 180 deg F. He had the syrup sitting for a year with no difficulty.

Since taking his advice, I have not had any mold in my syrup.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top