Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 or 5 brood frames I keep in a deep freezer at work. A coworker unplugged it a few weeks ago and forgot to plug it back in. Now there is a white film of mildew or mold. Can I just refreeze and use these frames or do I have to scrap them? I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken. I also meant 4-5 boxes full, not 4-5 frames.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I go ahead and refreeze them to kill the active spores? I'll get some pics tomorrow, some are worse than others.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last photo looks like there's wax moth webbing as well as mold - I hear the bees can have a hard time with the webbing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bees can chew thru wood, paper, wax, etc. They can't chew thru wax moth webbing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm with you, but that's what I've read - that you should scrape it out before returning the comb to the hive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They will clean it. Since you had it in the freezer I doubt the Wax Moth is still alive; I don't think its wax moth though; it looks like mold.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I touched the stuff that looks like wax moth webbing and it pretty much just feel apart when I touched it. I caught a pretty good size swarm today. I put 4 of the worse looking frames with them. I'll give it a couple weeks and see how well they cleaned it up.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They will have it cleaned within a few days at most, it's amazing how quickly they clean up bad comb.
Just to update. You were correct. I gave it about 5 days and checked them. It was like nothing was ever even there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts