Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting up a few hives in NC MN to increase waining pollinators for our new hobby orchard&fruit bushes. Honey production is not priority(but we like it) long term low maintenance bee survival is. I am sold on the approach of Russian beekeeper/author Fedor Lazutin who prescribes northern race bees for northern latitudes housed in insulated horizontal hives. I have three hives ready for bees and sourced our first colony(NUC) of certified Russians to get started. I am three years into reading/research and beginning classes on bees and have learned enough to see that there are a lot of ways to try and keep bees, a lot of new beekeeping challenges arising and for those with hobby hives not industrially mobile(nor wish to be) concern for using bees and beekeeping methods best for different regions. As a past wildlife biologist I am very aware how nature adapts or changes its species thru lattitudinal regions. It surprises me that so many people that want to have honeybees should think that the same type of bees and bee practices would be ideal everywhere. I would greatly appreciate the chance to share with any others that are pursuing northern race bees in insulated hives.

P.S. - Also have begun housing/management program for native orchard mason bees and leaf cutter bees as well as overall improving of 20+ acres of habitat and nectar sources for all native pollinators. Another 100 acres of mixed hardwoods(lots of maple and Lindon).

Thank you for allowing me the chance to learn from others experience.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,552 Posts
Welcome aboard Drake,

I have read DR Leos book and have some of the ideas incorporated into what I do.
I did make a couple Long Hives to hold double deep Lang frames.

Currently thinking of a double wall hive similar to the Buckeye hive from Root in the late 1800's

there are so many designs out there that its odd we have settled on only a couple.
I did not want to deal with extracting the deep frames and have a significant Lang investment.
I also brought in some pure bread Russians.

Proceed slowly , learn along the way, enjoy

GG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I thought I would start easy with one colony and work my experience up from there. Also working with hive design that is based on Lang frames that separate to fit in standard extractor. Right off the start dilemma with shorter than my double frames 9" deeps from nuke. After first month(May) colony was expanding greatly and went to install the last 8 of frames to fill 20 frame hive and noticed that we hadn't quite installed the Nuc frames fully tight enough to fit all frames so we slid them tight. Don't know if that was the trigger but within a week they swarmed(with 8 frames of room left) and an after swarm within two weeks. Both swarms captured and installed in other hives but scrambling for unplanned extra frames needed(none with empty comb recommended to use) as supply dwindles because of Covid. Lucky, bees bees everywhere but now needing to know how to get after swarmed colony(expanded nuc), primary swarm colony and after swarm colony all up and productive so that they can be given what they need to prepare the rest of the summer for our long winter.

I will move my many questions to bees 101.

IMG_0151.jpg

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
DrakeJ, where are you located? I thought initially North Carolina mountains, but you just referenced long winters, ie. Minnesota. Does NC stand for north central?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also new to this Forum. I am located in Western Wisconsin and have been developing a patent pending new beehive that is insulated with integrated monitoring. It has the ability to also treat the hives with hyperthermia. If you'd like more info check it out at www.hyperhyve.com

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,552 Posts
you could combine the 2 smallest if the reduction from 3 to 2 would help.
the frame squeeze did not cause the swarming. IMO

3 is not a bad number to have 1 is to few IMO to allow balancing and help from one hive to another.
Get the frames in them and let them go, the smaller ones can be feed a little to get comb built.

good luck.

GG

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
DrakeJ:

Welcome to the forum- your approach sounds well-researched and considered- I applaud you for that.

I will look forward to hearing how your apiary develops and what sort of observations you make with your Lazutin hives.

I also think your approach to intentionally supporting other pollinators is prudent and likely will only seek to improve the success of your honeybees.

Again, welcome aboard and best of luck to you in your stewardship efforts.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts