Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving up in my hive count this year, and need to mix syrup in larger quantities. I hope to mix 25 pounds of sugar into 3 gallons of water, has anyone done this? If so will it fit into a 5 gallon bucket?

If not what size container did you use?

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have in a super large crayfish boiler from academy sports.

·
Registered
124 Posts
5 gallon bucket works fine. You don't even have to heat it up. Just seems to last longer, mix better and can make a thicker syrup if u do. It doesn't have to be exact I just dump 25lbs in and add water and mix till sugar is dissolved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I mix 2:1 syrup in 5 gallon buckets. 35 pounds of sugar comes up to about an inch from the top. Then I mix in boiling hot water with a drill and a mixing paddle, bringing the water line back up to within an inch from the top of the bucket. The boiling hot water allows all of the sugar to go into solution almost immediately, which means less mixing time. I heat enough water to mix 3 buckets at a time. I pour it off into 1 gallon lined paint cans with 5 small holes punched in the lid.

I was feeding 30 hives last year with this setup, but intend to expand this coming season. I'll probably be looking to change up to something more efficient soon. I'm just not sure yet what that will be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts