Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When measuring sugar to water ratio in a 1 to 1 mix do you use volume measurement, say a 5 gallon bucket of sugar to a 5 gallon bucket of water?
Or is there another way you measure it. Just want to be sure im doing it right.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cg3 I kinda figured that but curiosity got the best of me...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Ok Randy....read no further! You have opened a biannual can of worms. People will have you out buying precision scales and volumetric flasks. Take cg3's advice. Read no more!!!!!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I measure sugar by its weight (lbs), and water by its volume, in pints/gallons.

Since sugar is usually sold in a 4, 5, 10, 25, or 50 pound bags it's not necessary to measure it again...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No beemandan im not that finickey. I figure as long as the bees can carry it, it will work. The thought just ran thru my mind and thought I would ask.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I use entrance feeders (aren't enough other bees around here to make robbing a problem), and I have a fairly simple method of making syrup.

Step 1: Pour sugar into jar until you get to the neck.
Step 2: Pour hot water from the tap into jar until you get it full.
Step 3: Put lid on and go do something else for an hour.
Step 4: Shake vigorously to get the last bit at the bottom dissolved.
Step 5: Put in feeder.

I don't worry about boiling or weighing or anything else. During summer its even easier to mix, as you can just set it out in the sun and it'll dissolve in very short order.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I add two quarts of hot tap water to a gallon container, add a teaspoon of citric acid crystals, shake, then add granulated sugar until the gallon container is nearly full (I leave a small air bubble so their is space for the solution to mix when I shake it). Then I install the cap and shake vigorously until the sugar is dissolved. Then I add it to hives/feeders that appear they can use it.

This may not be 1:1, but it's close enough for me and my bees. The acidification seems to help preserve this solution, more than once I've had a gallon or two, sit idle, outdoors from spring til autumn, without fermenting or spoiling in any way - so it's the first syrup I use when it's first needed again. I'm not really sure what keeps my syrup from spoiling, each spring, I usually have some syrup left over from that winter's feedings, it's only recently that I began regularly acidifying it, yet none have ever fermented or spoiled at all - I don't really know why.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Pour sugar into any container to any arbitrary level line. teacup, jar, bucket, tank car, swimming pool, supertanker, Lake Mead -- it doesn't matter.
Add warm water until dissolved syrup rises to the exact same level line. Presto, you have 2:1 syrup (66% concentration).

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I boil 12 pints of water and add 20 pounds of sugar. That makes 5:3. If I could get 2:1 to dissolve, I'd do that. Basically a pint of sugar is a pound and a pint of water is a pound. The sugar is already weighed and the amount is on the bag. So add the appropriate number of pints of syrup to make the ration you want. 2 pounds of sugar to 1 pint of water will make 2:1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts