Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found mites in one of my hives, what do I do this time of year for mite control. I’m not really sure how infected the hive is I just found a mite in a drone cell.
Thanks for the feed back
Jay T

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Finding a mite isn't unusual - most colonies have mites. What's important is to measure the mite load, whether it's stable or increasing, and what the treatment threshold is for your area.

I use a sticky board and do a 24-hour mite drop. If I see more than 50 mites, I'll treat. You can also to ether rolls or powdered sugar rolls to count mites.

There are numerous treatment methods and combinations of treatments. Many beekeepers who want to avoid chemicals use various combinations of powdered sugar, screened bottom boards and drone trapping.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My plan is to go with drone trapping and open screen bb.
If I start to see higher amounts of mites on the drone pupae, I'll add sugar dusting. Splitting hives keeps down mites too, by disrupting the brood cycle.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you can buy frames of "drone comb" from suppliers that the queen will only lay drones in because of the size. you swap those frames with another drone frame, put 'em in the freezer or feed the drones to the chickens, and you have "trapped" the majority of your mites-which prefer drones.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sticky board won't give you an accurate count on your mites. Do an alcohol wash. Lot's has been written about this...try the search engine for more info then you can use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts