Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a question for those of you who treat.

I went into the winter with 13 hives and it looks like they all made it. I had treated with Apiguard in the fall last year, fed them some in the late fall, and fed the hives that wanted it, fondant beginning mid Jan.
But I have high mite counts right now, and plan to treat with MAQS this week. I also have a nuc coming this Friday. I will put it in 10 frame equipment when it arrives. Is there any wisdom in going ahead and treating it as well, since all the others will be treated, or should I just wait?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Before treating, find out if the nuc has already been treated. What you are describing is a big problem in big box garden stores where at each step in the supply chain the soil often gets treated "just in case" - you can end up with way over treated soil if you are not very careful.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It may be all right but please check the directions -- a hive needs to be strong enough to deal with the formic acid vapors--I think I am remembering a discussion that a nuc would not be a good candidate, even for a "half" treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts