Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been keeping 2 hives for a few years now. Still pretty inexperienced and like to bounce alot of things off a mentor I had helping me a great deal the first 2 or so seasons. I know he has had good success doing OAV in early spring and Novemberish and MAQs in August. I was set to do my OAV treatment and he asked if my mite count was very high. Do most of you treat regardless at specific times as sort of a maintenance item or do mite counts and only do the treatment if you are above a certain threshold?

I would also like to add this hive has overwintered each year so, I believe its 3 or 4 years in now. And was busting with bees (most of them in the top box) when I flipped the boxes about 2 weeks ago. At that time I started a 50/50 sugar syrup mix with HBH. I could be adding a super fairly soon, which would probably be the earliest I have done so. I am in inland SW Connecticut.

Registered
Personally I don't treat prophylactically. I perform regular mite checks and assess the levels/threshold at that time given the time of year. Only if the mites exceed certain thresholds do I then treat ... some years I haven't had to treat at all because for some reason or another they mite levels were just kept in check.

Registered
Me, I treat -- more or less -- prophylactically. Mites, from what I understand, are always present, and since an oxalic acid dribble is easy, quick and cheap (and relatively effective?), why not? I have a feeling, though, that more experienced beeks'll come up with beaucoup reasons ....

Registered
I treat 2 times a year. Now with formic, switched to formic pro from maqs, and once in sept with apivar.
I do mite washes with alcohol once a month to see if things are in check, and it works for me.
do as you feel necessary, treating or treatment free, they are you bees.

Registered
I have too many to do if not needed. But i don't think its a bad idea for beginners as a just in case scenario. but not just once. You have to do it over the course of a few weeks to be fully effective as they must have tons of sealed brood by now.
OP you should have plenty of nectar coming in by now along with pollen. I've had them bringing nectar in for over 2 weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes alot of sense. Do you feel it places undue stress on them doing it to try and get the emerging brood? Not doubting you at all, just looking for your experience, obviously there are alot of people on here with a ton of knowledge.

Registered
Makes alot of sense. Do you feel it places undue stress on them doing it to try and get the emerging brood? Not doubting you at all, just looking for your experience, obviously there are alot of people on here with a ton of knowledge.
Assuming you are asking me. No they benefit more from being mite free then the temporary stress of the treatments. Depending on the amount of brood and knowing there are 3 mites in an infected cell.........i think that number is right........you could have killed say 1000 mites but have 5 thousand under caps and unaffected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts