Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, after reading a week of threads about sugar feeding, treating VS not treating VS types of treating to hives dieing in the almonds, to shortage of hives...etc..you get the picture, I have come to the conclusion that everyone here including me has a different level we consider what low mite counts are.

threads are posted, "mite counts are low"...well what do you consider low?

Does not matter if you do daily drop or percentage.

What would your low #'s look like in

Early Spring:
Mid Spring:
Late Spring:
Mid Summer:
Late Summer:
Fall:
Just before going into winter:

This next part is important in the survey because how you look at your bees depends on how you view the mite levels. So it is a two part survey...

Then...are you...
Honey Producer:
Just raising bees for the joy of it:
Bee Producer (raising bees to sell):
Pollination:

Each type of producer would have different #'s for allowable mites. If you are in the beekeeping industry to produce honey your mites need to stay below economic threshold. If you are a producer of bees, your mites need to stay down so you have healthy bees to sell. If you are in it just because, your mite levels can be more tolerable.

I am asking this question because there is so much disagreement in the way we handle bees. When i say disagreement i mean not tollerable in accepting different ways of working bees. .
Maybe if we understood each others motives for keeping bees, we might be a little more understanding in accepting other methods. Might not like it, but understand it

Please, once and if numbers start coming in, please stick to the survey and keep the comments to a low on challenging others on their #'s please and thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What would your low #'s look like in

Early Spring:
Mid Spring: 0-3 drop
Late Spring: 0-5 drop
Mid Summer: 0-10
Late Summer: 0-3
Fall: 0-3
Just before going into winter: 0-3
I feel a happy colony is below 1% and at 3% i am going to start to loose honey production, winter sucess, costing me money.

Then...are you...
Honey Producer: yes
Just raising bees for the joy of it:
Bee Producer (raising bees to sell): yes
Pollination:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
They say the numbers vary depending on the climate where you live.
I think Randy Oliver www.scientificbeekeeping.com has compiled a list of thresholds for different parts of the country. You might have to dig around his site a little to find it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm a honey producer, and keep bees for the fun of it. Also in a few years, maybe two more, plan to raise enough bees to sell nucs. I'm going from 14 colonies now to 34+ by year's end, 50 plus next year.

I do not medicate or treat for mites. And, are you ready for sacrilege? I do not do a mite count. :lookout: As I've said on another post, if they die, I didn't want them anyway.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts