Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to build a mite count board for a standard 10 frame hive if you do no have a commercial board?

I need to treat this week with the bulk of the brood hatched out and need s quick board to use.

I had build the bottom boards with the SHB swimming pool which seems to do a good job. Still cannot teach them to swim. :)

I have to do something and I know this board has a bunch or "do it yourself" members.

Jim

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
642 Posts
The easiest thing to do is pick up a 4 X 8 sheet of coroplast at your local Home Depot. Cut it to fit within your bottom board. You can also fashion a piece of wood at the end and use wood glue to glue it down. That gives you something at the end to pull out to do your count. Coroplast is super useful to use as either a sleeve for over wintering (see VinoFarm video). I also use coroplast as an awning. It's cut about 4 inches wider than the telescopic lid and weighted down with a concrete block. It acts as a sun shield and protects the bees from weather. The concrete block and awning is later ratcheted down in winter and stays on all year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I like about election time. I collect all the old signs and use them as dividers, roof awnings, and wheelbarrow bottome and to cover boxes in the shed for a base and top.

Just cannot find a white blank one. :)

To answer the bottom question after 44 years of marriage I have found that most of the time my wife can always give the right answer. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts