Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends...Got this email yesterday. Just thought I'd pass it along. Sure would be nice if California picked up the pace!

Dear Beekeepers,

Thank you for inquiring about the status of Mite-Away Quick Strips™ (MAQS) availability in 2010.

Currently, a Section 18 pesticide registration application is being processed in California. California is acting as the lead state in the US registration process. Upon approval of this lead Section 18 application, other states may submit their own Section 18 applications. The Section 18 approval process takes 50 days. It is anticipated that those States submitting a Section 18 application quickly will receive approval in time for spring treatment, late April to early May.

In Canada, we are hoping to have distribution in place in time for spring treatment, through our usual distribution network. Please visit www.miteaway.com and click on the distributor link under Mite-Away II tab.

Mite-Away Quick Strips™ Treatment for Varroa Mites
Active ingredient is formic acid
Treatment period is only 7 days
2 strips are placed between the brood chambers
No extra equipment is required
Can be used between 50 and 92 degrees F.
Can be used mid summer, with honey supers on the hive
Mites are killed both on the bees and under the cap with 95% efficacy
Bees dispose of the pads

Commercial beekeepers planning to use MAQS in California may place pre-orders from Mann Lake or Dadant.

I will be in touch as more information on pricing and packaging becomes available. Please note that you are on a MAQS mailing list, so I can keep you up to date on the progress of Mite-Away Quick Strips!

Yours in beekeeping,

Liz Corbett

Business Manager
NOD Apiary Products
Toll free: 866-483-2929

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone from the south want to pull a little Smokey and the Bandit run to California? ;)

Trans Am, what's yo pleasure????

·
Registered
508 Posts
West Bound and Down, loaded up an truckin'.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Currently, a Section 18 pesticide registration application is being processed in California. California is acting as the lead state in the US registration process. Upon approval of this lead Section 18 application, other states may submit their own Section 18 applications. The Section 18 approval process takes 50 days. It is anticipated that those States submitting a Section 18 application quickly will receive approval in time for spring treatment, late April to early May.
I don't want to drive to cal. anyone in new york or new england know if their state is going to go section 18, if so or when you hear could you please post.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We got a long ways to go and a short time to get there.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
When I hear the mites are wiped out in the capped brood as well, and knowing brood is effected by formic, my assumption would be that this application is strong enough that it will kill all the brood, creating a break in the brood cycle. Is this assumption correct?

I think someone posted about pricing on another thread....can't remember. Any firm quotes on volume pricing as of yet?
Sheri

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I just spoke with Liz on the phone about studies on brood kill, etc. She will send me what studies have been released but alot of them are not released yet. Pricing is around $4-$5 per hive(2 strips each hive). Liz suggested preordering so your name is on the list when it becomes available(Dadant or Mannlake). WI has inquired about it(Elizabeth-state apiarist). It needs to be accepted for Sec. 18 in CA before it is allowed in any other state.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Yes, I know that open brood is often killed and the queen shuts down with the existing strips, but these new strips are also advertised as killing mites in capped brood. I am wondering if capped brood is also killed and at what proportion?
If so, what time of year do I choose to set my colonies back by 3 weeks.:eek:
I am looking forward to the test results, Shannon, please post them when you get them.
Sheri

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Yes, John, but everything has it's price. Losing three weeks of brood is a high one.....probably sometimes justified, but again, when do you make that sacrifice? In the spring when you want the population strong going into honey production? In the fall, when you are growing almond bees? Or in the summer, when you have to move 3 honey supers to put the strips in?:D

I would like to know how long the queen is effected as well. As I said, waiting on the test results.....
Sheri

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Thanks, Shannon,
This initial study looks much better than I could have hoped, with minimal brood damage.....looks very promising. $5 a hive would add up quickly for a large operation but increased efficacy if shown and decreased labor could make up for some of that.
Sheri

1 - 14 of 14 Posts